X6 & X6 Mac Compatability

Are Chief plans compatible between X6 and X6 Mac? I am looking at a new Lap Top and will consider a Macbook Pro if the files are compatible.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

I believe Chief mentioned that the file structure is identical. I had no problem moving X5 or X6 files from PC to MAC.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    I believe Chief mentioned that the file structure is identical. I had no problem moving X5 or X6 files from PC to MAC.
    I've opened Windows X5 files in Mac X6 without a problem. Once they are saved in X6 they are no longer compatible with X5, because X5 is now an older version.
    I have no problem opening Mac X6 in Win X6 and vice versa.
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Gerry, I did not know you were using a Mac...... Any thoughts on the two platforms?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

Its impossible for me to compare. My Asus PC is slightly more powerful (but older) than the MAC I'm using - MacBook Pro(early 2013-2.4GHz i7 - 16GB w SSD). The mac is also on a wifi so network saves are going to be slower and very irritating. IAE -- I didn't see much difference one way or another, other than the PC is slightly faster as would be expected. I share the Asus monitors (3)- PC on DVI and MAC on Thunderbolt. Everything else is pretty much the same and I haven't noticed any anomalies in one versus the other.

I frankly got tired of switching the license and would always forget to close out the license. So I'm just using the PC now. I'm more familiar with Windows and like it better. Bought the mac for a field computer so I'm going to have to get back on it. The mac does perform very well, I have other programs on it -- FormZ & Archicad demos and no real slow down noticed. Did notice that the MAC uses Ruby ver. 1.9.2 and PC uses Ruby ver. 1.9.1 but since neither are using extensions they perform the same. Both use the same QT version.

Your right about the PDF sizes, but I'm getting slightly less file sizes (I optimize before print) than you but still higher than PC. As chief said it really depends on how the pdf is constructed. Image based PDF cad details Kills both the PC and the MAC. Vector based PDF cad details have no effect or little in either- about same as dwg. I believe the print problem is a QT problem so I doubt they're going to resolve it until a new QT version comes out which will be awhile..

My thoughts are that there is no reason to cause anyone to switch. People who prefer MAC are going to stay with a MAC and vice versa.

EDIT: Took me one week to figure out to dump the "magic" mouse using cheap logitech wireless and works fine.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Gerry, I did not know you were using a Mac...... Any thoughts on the two platforms?
    I'm running CA Windows and CA Mac on the same computer, a Mac Pro. Windows is running via BootCamp, which makes it a true Windows machine with all the resources available. You shut down the Mac and bring it up in Windows.

I don't notice any difference in speed between the two platforms, both run very well.
    3.2 GHz - dual quad core processors = 8 cores
    16 GB RAM
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Files are compatible between systems. Just copy them over and open. Even all the old file versions that Windows supports are supported for reading on Mac. As with any software there is the possibility of bugs so if you find a compatibility issue let us know so we can correct it.

Performance on Mac is more or less in line with the performance one would expect on equivalent Windows hardware.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.