Hybrid View

This curved roof questions brings up a similar question I've had for awhile- is it possible to create a parabolic roof shape in CA? I'm trying to design a gabled-roof house where the ridge line skewed to the walls, and is not level. Putting in straight rafters on either side of this skewed ridge creates a parabolic "dish" on each side. I wonder if there is any trick whereby I could create an object to simulate the skewed ridge, and CA would fill in the space from the top of the walls to the ridge? I doubt that it is possible, but it would be nice. It may be possible to do in sketchup, but is there a way to import a sketchup object that functions as a roof (that the walls would fill in below)?

David Hornstein
    www.light-house-design.com

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    This curved roof questions brings up a similar question I've had for awhile- is it possible to create a parabolic roof shape in CA? I'm trying to design a gabled-roof house where the ridge line skewed to the walls, and is not level. Putting in straight rafters on either side of this skewed ridge creates a parabolic "dish" on each side. I wonder if there is any trick whereby I could create an object to simulate the skewed ridge, and CA would fill in the space from the top of the walls to the ridge? I doubt that it is possible, but it would be nice. It may be possible to do in sketchup, but is there a way to import a sketchup object that functions as a roof (that the walls would fill in below)?

David Hornstein
    www.light-house-design.com
    David, I'm definitely not the guy to come up with the answers (a case of the blind leading the blind ). But for my own edification and amazement I went ahead and generated the framing of my structure to see what CA would come up with. I had to tweak some of the rafters a little bit (one side of the roof framed a little differently than the other), but the result was to me at least, surprisingly buildable. I only bring this up because the way CA framed from the curved ridge beam to the curved eave fascia with straight rafters seems to be what you are looking for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swayback Framing.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	62129  
    My Homebuilt Rig:
    Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme MB with Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series AX750
    Applications Drive – Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
    Data Drive – Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB
    Memory – Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video - NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
    Monitors - 2 Dell U3014 30”