Hybrid View

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    Now it you really want to work on the 'correct" look.... the more ridge drops the more the walls have to bow out from bottom to top and this of course will make the roof eaves bow out and look wider in that area also when looking down from above. And you just wanted a dropping bowed ridge.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    Now if you really want to work on the 'correct" look.... the more ridge drops the more the walls have to bow out from bottom to top and this of course will make the roof eaves bow out and look wider in that area also when looking down from above. And you just wanted a dropping bowed ridge.
    Larry, the bowed roof ridge is just the tip of the iceberg. To really capture the feel I need to make the sides of the building sag too. The structure has no footing or foundation which is why it seems to float above the terrain. It looks like they crisscrossed some old railroad ties at each end and then ran some floor joists lengthwise with no supports in the center. Actually the walls are surprisingly plum all things considered, but the whole structure sags in the center like a swaybacked boxcar. The next challenge will be to create U shaped side walls. I can make the side edges of the roof mimic the curve of the top ridge but then I can't set it on the walls without having it teeter-totter on the top plates of the side walls. And of course there is the issue of rafters, eaves and fascias or the lack thereof. Presently my roof is just a plane with no thickness and there is no structure supporting it. I'm not completely crazy. I do have ulterior motives for seeing how close I can come to creating a swaybacked structure. If I am successful I will share the results sometime down the road.
    My Homebuilt Rig:
    Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme MB with Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU @ 3.5GHz
    Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series AX750
    Applications Drive – Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
    Data Drive – Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB
    Memory – Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video - NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB GDDR5
    Monitors - 2 Dell U3014 30”

My Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    CA X6 Build: 16.1.1.9x64
    Home Designer Pro 2014