Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rlackore View Post
    I'm not sure this is the case. I'm not running X6 yet, but just as the two Bills posted previously, this is a problem I have frequently in X5 - when inserting a door/window into a normal wall, the door/window will automatically snap to any zero-width invisible wall in the vicinity (sometimes as much as 20-30 feet away).
    In version X5 or earlier, you should never is an invisible wall or any wall type that has a zero thickness overall for the wall type.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

OK, so I opened Bill's Plan and "Locked" the "Walls, Invisible" Layer. Everything then works as normal. I think that the problem has something to do with multiple zero-thickness-invisible walls intersecting each other. It's something that should be fixed by CA (IMO) but at least by "Locking" the Layer we can get things to work as they should.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    In version X5 or earlier, you should never is an invisible wall or any wall type that has a zero thickness overall for the wall type.
    Using a zero-width invisible wall in X5 is an attempt to accomplish exactly what the X6 room dividers are meant to accomplish; whether you "should" or "shouldn't" I won't argue - it's just another example of a work-around to make up for missing functionality.
    CA 5 / AutoCAD / SketchUp / Artlantis / Hexagon / Genetica
    --
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    BOXX 8300
    Woodcrest Intel Xeon 5130 (4 cores)
    12GB ECC DDR2 667
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
    --
    Robert Lackore
    robl@bourildesign.com
    www.bourildesign.com

This post has been on the forum for a couple of days now and it's already had over 30 replies and over 400 views.

But as far as I can tell, no one has reported this problem to tech support yet.

I can only assume that some of you must be afraid to contact tech support. Maybe you are afraid that tech support will give you a hard time? Trust me, they won't. They actually enjoy helping people solve their problems. Maybe you are afraid that the NSA will be monitoring your call? I can't promise you that they won't, but if they were, they would probably already be monitoring this forum as well. We can only hope that they have better things to do.

At any rate, I did download Bill's plan and took a look at it. I think we have already fixed Bill's problem for the 16.1 release. I have no way of knowing for sure whether or not we have fixed all of the problems mentioned here though. It is possible that there are other cases that we don't know about that haven't been fixed yet.

So please, do us a favor by actually reporting this problem to tech support. Please make sure you include a plan that demonstrates the problem along with very clear steps for how you reproduced the problem. I can promise you that we will look into the problem to see if our fix corrects it. If it doesn't then we will try and get a better fix into the program.

Please try to remember that discussing problems on this forum is not the same as reporting a problem to tech support.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post

I did report it Brian several days ago.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Report number 21414....... 1/14/14
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I've stopped using that wall type also. It's too "squirrelly" for me. And........I have filed a bug report to TS.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I haven't reported it simply because I can't reproduce it with my own Plans. The only thing I can reproduce in my own Plan(s) is the copying of an existing Door or Window into a Room Divider. That of course is a bug but I'm relatively sure that will have been fixed for version 16.1

One thing that I've noticed is that drawing a Room Divider as an extension of a thicker wall results in an Invisible Wall the same thickness as the thick wall, not a zero thickness wall. Is this a bug? I really don't know if it is or not.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Yes, thank you. As a member of the private beta team, sending an email to Brian is an option for you to report bugs. Since Brian is a member of our testing team, he was able to verify that the bug reported had been fixed which meant that he did not log it as a new problem which is why I did not see any record of this.

For most people, reporting bugs directly to tech support is the best way to handle any problems that you run into. As far as I can tell, no one else has reported any problems with the new Room Divider tool in X6.

As far as zero thickness walls in X5 are concerned, this is not a supported feature. If you are using zero thickness walls in X5 and are having problems, then I would encourage you to upgrade to X6.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Chief Architect, Inc.

This post has been on the forum for a couple of days now and it's already had over 30 replies and over 400 views.

I can only assume that some of you must be afraid to contact tech support. Maybe you are afraid that tech support will give you a hard time? Trust me, they won't. They actually enjoy helping people solve their problems. Maybe you are afraid that the NSA will be monitoring your call? I can't promise you that they won't, but if they were, they would probably already be monitoring this forum as well. We can only hope that they have better things to do.

At any rate, I did download Bill's plan and took a look at it. I think we have already fixed Bill's problem for the 16.1 release. I have no way of knowing for sure whether or not we have fixed all of the problems mentioned here though. It is possible that there are other cases that we don't know about that haven't been fixed yet.

So please, do us a favor by actually reporting this problem to tech support. Please make sure you include a plan that demonstrates the problem along with very clear steps for how you reproduced the problem. I can promise you that we will look into the problem to see if our fix corrects it. If it doesn't then we will try and get a better fix into the program.

Please try to remember that discussing problems on this forum is not the same as reporting a problem to tech support.
    Dermot,

I submitted plan to tech support today. Thanks for the reminder. I've been off the 'web' for several days...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    I haven't reported it simply because I can't reproduce it with my own Plans. The only thing I can reproduce in my own Plan(s) is the copying of an existing Door or Window into a Room Divider. That of course is a bug but I'm relatively sure that will have been fixed for version 16.1

One thing that I've noticed is that drawing a Room Divider as an extension of a thicker wall results in an Invisible Wall the same thickness as the thick wall, not a zero thickness wall. Is this a bug? I really don't know if it is or not.
    I've noticed the same thing, or a divider wall changing to an invisible wall after editing other standard walls... Not sure how to reproduce at present...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

A room divider wall can automatically be converted into a normal invisible wall if you change the floor or ceiling heights for one of the rooms. This is necessary so that the program can build a wall support the floor and/or ceiling platform.

I am not aware of any other situations where the program does this. If you run into any that don't make sense to you, then please report them to tech support and someone will be able to look into them.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I have a divider wall that will not go below 2" in width. Trying to upload but the manage attachments is not working for me.......??;o(
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

A room divider wall be automatically be converted into a normal invisible wall if you change the floor or ceiling heights for one of the rooms. This is necessary so that the program can build a wall support the floor and/or ceiling platform. ........
    Whoa buddy, hmmmmm....... so if I come back later and change my default ceiling heights form 96" to 108" hi, does this change all of the "room divider walls" into an invisible wall and if so, how does a "room divider wall" behave differently than an "normal invisible wall".
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    I have a divider wall that will not go below 2" in width. Trying to upload but the manage attachments is not working for me.......??;o(
    Gennis Davin, you must figure out how to upload, there is some interesting and confusing stuff going on with the "invisible" and "divider walls".
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX