Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Room Divider Gone Wild!

X6. Using the new 'room divider walls'. Trying to copy an window by dragging on existing and it jumps to a room divider wall. Trying to resize a door on an interior wall and it jumps to a room divider wall. Any one having these problems?

Well, crap, I would post a pic I can't get 'insert image' to work...

Not a good day so far...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Make sure the layer of the wall IS NOT LOCKED. It probably is not, but double check.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I used to have the jumping door and window problem in previous versions using very thin walls as room dividers. Sounds like it could be a similar problem with the room divider walls.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by William H Lynch View Post
    X6. Using the new 'room divider walls'. Trying to copy an window by dragging on existing and it jumps to a room divider wall. Trying to resize a door on an interior wall and it jumps to a room divider wall. Any one having these problems?

Well, crap, I would post a pic I can't get 'insert image' to work...

Not a good day so far...
    Bill, just tried to put a door and a window in a room divider wall. Could not do it.

I then tried to copy a door from a wall to the room divider wall, and it worked.
    I then tried to copy a window from a wall to the room divider wall, and it worked.

Not sure why you are having problems.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Bill, just tried to put a door and a window in a room divider wall. Could not do it.

I then tried to copy a door from a wall to the room divider wall, and it worked.
    I then tried to copy a window from a wall to the room divider wall, and it worked.

Not sure why you are having problems.
    Copying a door or window to a room divider should not work, or am I just ignorant or stupid!

For some reason I can not post the plan or image at present... I'll keep trying...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    I used to have the jumping door and window problem in previous versions using very thin walls as room dividers. Sounds like it could be a similar problem with the room divider walls.
    Yes, I had the same problems...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Windows 7 has a snipping tool for screen capture
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Interestingly, a Door or Window copied into a Room Divider will show up in the Schedule but of course it's not visible in any 3D View.

IAE, IMO this is just something we need to deal with - we can easily see it's not right so we can just fix it ourselves. Granted it doesn't make sense for a door or window to be in any invisible wall. CA programmed it so you can't place one but failed to recognize that they needed to make the same restriction for copy/move. It's just one of those cases where we can do something that CA didn't anticipate. Sometimes that's good because it provides a "work-around" solution for something we want to do that isn't otherwise provided for. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

I haven't tried it yet, but if a standard wall with a door or window in it is changed to a Room Divider - will the door/window still be there or will it be deleted?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I believe you all need to read it again. I don't believe he's trying to place a door or window to an invisible wall or "divider wall".
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

OK, so this is weird.....

If you change a normal wall to a Room Divider it isn't automatically marked as "Invisible" so a door or window will still be visible even though you can't see the wall in 3D because the "Wall Material" 100% transparent. However, if you then specify the wall as "Invisible" then the Door/Window won't show up in 3D.

At the same time, you can specify a "Room Divider" as "Not Invisible" and any Door/Window in that wall will now show up in 3D.

This is definitely interesting and provides some possibilities for doing things that might be cool...............
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    I believe you all need to read it again. I don't believe he's trying to place a door or window to an invisible wall or "divider wall".
    Tommy,

I think we all realize that. We're just looking at the problem and trying to see what's right/wrong and how it all actually is working at this time.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    You are correct, windows and doors I am trying to place or edit on normal walls are 'jumping' to divider walls. See pic below. Trying to copy window on exterior wall by dragging and it jumps to divider wall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WINDOWJUMP.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	62034
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

You are correct, windows and doors I am trying to place or edit on normal walls are 'jumping' to divider walls. See pic below. Trying to copy window on exterior wall by dragging and it jumps to divider wall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WINDOWJUMP.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	62034
    Bill, I have not seen that problem, all I can guess is the wall layer is locked. If the wall layer is locked, you cannot put a window in it.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Bill,

I would understand that if the wall you are trying to put it in is too small. I can't tell from your pic exactly what you are doing. What happens if you just open the window's dbx and edit the size?
    Windows 8.1

Here is link to plan file: See highlighted door and widow. Where it says try to add window use copy of existing...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=file%2c.plan
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300