Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cache View Post
    .......CA does distinguish between Lft and sqft, the difference is just that they use ft instead of Lft......
    This is true. We know and Ca knows, but the Supplier has no idea, unless told......or they best ask.

I guess the real point is that if CA wants the material list to be usable for takeoffs, they really need to talk to some builders and realize how we would need them.
    Thank you.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Guys!!!

Do you seriously believe that professionals with 30+ years experience in programing and the residential industry don't understand how to build and estimate a home? - Particularly something as basic as this?

The problems here are simple ones, probably due to programing shortcuts and the decision to generalize, deny any versatility and restrict access to data for whatever reason.

As pointed out by Chief, it is much more productive to point out areas of needed improvement in line with how we would like to use the program and let Chief worry about the details.

The limitations we see are really marketing decisions (& maybe some politics). Chief rather needs to hear, repeatedly, details as to why we can't use this very valuable tool so it becomes worthwhile for them to put some resources on this long neglected area. IMNOHO.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Guys!!!......Do you seriously believe that professionals with 30+ years experience in programing and the residential industry don't understand how to build and estimate a home? - Particularly something as basic as this?......
    I would hope they wouldn't come to this conclusion by me replying "Thank You", but they do ask for input and I believe inut from the people mentioned is very valuable. Not only talking to builders, but the suppliers as well. I come from both ends and believe me, I have been burned by the ft, Lft, sq ft, bd ft Units......badly. Fortunately I learned from my mistake. I would view it as unprofessional for someone to send me a Materials List, to quote, and then need to call them back for more input. I can see this from a homeowner, but not from someone with a professional program, that is a builder, or an architect.

The area dealing with Materials List has not been the main priority and understandably so, until it gathers support. While I do agree they have professionals with 30+ years experience in programming and the residential industry, I am not completely convinced they are looking at this from the Supplier's side (Lumber Yard), the ones who will eventually decipher the Materials List and provide a priced quote. I am grateful they allocated more space for Description, in X6, as you can now order door units and many other items correctly. Again, I realize the power of exporting a Materials List, but the program should be able to provide a readable, decipherable, Materials List, without needing to do so. It really helped by expanding the Description field. I see improvements each release and my comments are only to continue this discussion and help improve the program, for those of us who value this portion of the program, nothing more.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory