lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Adjusting hgt. of a custom newel on porch railing

I added a custom newel post from my user library to end a railing on a porch. The original symbol size was 4" square which I increased to 4 1/2" square in the Newels/Balusters dbx. of the Deck Railing specifications. This showed up correctly (attachment), but the total newel post height I would like to lower to an overall height of 42". How do I go about changing this height? In the attachment I show the symbol newel I'm using along with the "sizing tab" of the symbol specifications. Do I have the sizing planes screwed up so that is not letting the newel post height to set correctly? Taking the symbol directy from my user library gives me the results shown. I tried making a new symbol of the newel with a height of 42", added it to my user library, then brought that symbol in as my railing newel, but that 42" newel ended up showing less than 36" tall when it was attached to the railing. I'm sure I'm missing something. I don't remember having this type of problem in earlier versions (I'm in X6 beta), but heck I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. :confused: As always, all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEWEL POST 2.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	61989  
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I think you are trying to do this the hard way. Just change the newel height on the newel tab (the same place you can change the width). You just need to make sure you don't have "post to rail" checked.
    Kilgore Trout

Kilgore....The height of the newel is greyed out. In the rail style the "Newel/Post" setting was on Post to Rail. I changed it to Post to Beam and got the results shown in the attachment. The height of the newel was still greyed out and I have a newel at both ends of the railing. I then changed the "Type" of newel to just square and the height still remained greyed out. Is this do to some other setting somewhere else in the Deck Railing Specs? If there are no other ideas I'll post the plan in Dropbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newel post 3.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	61990  
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Just uncheck post to rail, then you should be able to control the newel height.

Edit: If you check post to beam, all your newels will build to the beam. If you are going to have both, then you've got to improvise.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

uncheck post to rail and post to beam. Basically, noting is checked in that portion of the DBX. You can then adjust the baluster height.

Curtis beat me to it!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Curtis, Dennis & Kilgore........I got it! Remember those famous Forrest Gump words ----"Stupid is Stupid does" Thank you for your patience. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670