Threaded View

X6 Exterior Door Defaults not working

I've found a couple of problems when trying to set the Exterior Door defaults to accomodate the way we hang exterior doors here in the UK. Firstly, we tend to build exterior walls as double-skin with a filled cavity (ie with facing brick exterior, blockwork interior (generally load-bearing) and cavity bats filling the 100mm or so cavity). An outer door is then hung on the outer leaf into a door jamb with cross-section typically 75mm x 75mm. The cavity at the door opening is generally closed by blockwork set at 90 deg to the wall face with a dpc set between the block end and the exterior brickwork leaf. I hope my description is clear enough.

The problems I've found are: 1) When I go into the Exterior Door Defaults dbx and set the Jamb 'Sides Width' to 75mm and then untick 'Fit Jamb to Wall' so I can set the Depth to 75mm, everything is immediately greyed-out and I can't then set anything. I've set the 'Rough Opening' to 80mm on each side, so I know there is space to accomodate a 75mm Jamb, but X6 won't let me do it ! 2) Secondly, when I click the door tool and try to set the door into the wall, no matter how I try, that door will only sit on the outer leaf if it opens outwards, which is not what I want. I want it to sit on the outer leaf and open inwards. Is this too much to ask ?

All of the above is standard practice in the UK, and Chief Architect ought to be a universally flexible home design tool, so am I missing something, or is this a restriction that is in-built in X6 ?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm designing my own next home and I've chosen Chief to help me do this, and I think it's great, but it needs to do what I want it to do, not restrict me to what it wants to do.

Any help or useful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Alan Peach

Home Designer Pro 9.0
    Chief Architect X3, X4, X5, X6
    HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook, Core i7/2670, 2.2Ghz, 8Gb with
    ATI Radeon HD6490M Graphics, 1Gb
    HP Pavilion Elite HPE-495, Corei7/870, 16Gb with
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics, 1GB
    Windows 7.0 Pro 64-bit; Windows 8.1 Pro