Thread: Sink Cut Out

Sink Cut Out

I’m assuming there’s a simple explanation because I haven’t had need to come across this before.

I insert a Chief symbol – sink – into a vanity (Chief cabinet). Open the symbol DBX and generate a new 2D symbol, using the “Generate Block” button – just for grins.

Using the new 2D symbol, which I did not modify, it now cuts a complete hole in the counter top around the bounding box instead of just the sink outline as the previous symbol did. ---- How come???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sink Cut Out.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	61969  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Same thing happening here. Strange for sure!
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

I think you know how to fix it, not being curt.

But to answer the question, I do not think CA is smart enough to figure out the exact size and shape of the hole you want. Imagine if part of your symbol included some faucets and valves that were not on the sink but actually mounted on counter..... how would CA now handle that.

Suppose it was a surface mounted sink where the sink hole was a bit smaller than the overall shape of the sink, again how does CA know that. I assume there are so many possible variables for the actual shape and size of hole, CA does not try to figure it out.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Sink Symbols have to include the "Counter-Top" to match the size of the Bounding Box. The hole cut by a sink always is the size of the Bonding Box. That's the way it was programmed
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Yep - Got that - Thanks- But Scott was a little two cryptic. The symbol itself appears solid. How did they cut the drain hole in the sink?
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

One of the polylines in the block of CAD lines needs to be specified as a hole in countertop. Chief will make it the outermost boundary line, unless you work at it to do otherwise.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Thanks Gene - understand that - my confusion was on the hole in the sink which appears to be constructed as solid. My mistake, it's not. only appeared that way because of white back ground. Thanks guys -- "never mind".
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services