Migrating version 9 & 10 plan files to x15/16

Does anyone have any good advise or checklist on updating legacy plans (pre v11) to 15.
    I would like to get rid of the numbered layers to the default layers.
    And also the default line weights.
    Thank you for any help or advice.
    -Robert

It depends on the type of plan you have
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I have quite of few old plan & and layout files with numbers for layers created back in day in version 9 with numbers for layers and line weights of 1~3
    the old version 10 files are pretty good except for the line weights 1~3
    I would like to find an easy way to convert all objects to the new defaults as a starting point
    thanks
    -rp

Quote Originally Posted by repsw View Post
    I have quite of few old plan & and layout files with numbers for layers created back in day in version 9 with numbers for layers and line weights of 1~3
    the old version 10 files are pretty good except for the line weights 1~3
    I would like to find an easy way to convert all objects to the new defaults as a starting point
    thanks
    -rp
    You will probably spend more time listening to others "easiest" way to do than to just do it.

Just do it and get it and get it behind you.....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I totally agree with DSH, in my experience with legacy files they require a lot of methodical care to bring into present time: symbols need to be updated manually (the program will indicate which ones per plan), materials often have to be manually updated (again the software will indicate which ones as you open and work the file), annotation sets usually must be imported and checked, Layer names per layer set are also a matter of manual editing-renaming. It is all up to you and what your acceptance level is.
    Legacy plans require manual care, that is the long and short of it, only you can decide if the process is worth it or not.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thanks all for taking time to respond.
    I searched through many threads looking for an answer ....seems to me a few years ago Wendy Welton posted a thread on this subject suggesting bringing objects in by stages a little at a time, and that's how I've approached it thus far with pretty good success . I never did find that thread although. I finding that its important to Explode old cad blocks as well to get rid of those hateful legacy layers. I strictly do construction docs only, mostly for builders thus color rendering not important so updating materials and symbols isn't so necessary.
    -rp

Hi RP,

Not sure if this helps to address your question, but if your 9/10 plan layers all used similar attributes, one method that might work is to migrate your first project to X5/X6, and modify its settings. You can then export that layerset, and for the remaining projects as you open them in the new version, import the layerset (always choose the 'Replace' instead of 'Rename' option, to prevent duplicated layers).

Similarly, if you would like your projects to more resemble the Out-of-box defaults, you can start with a new blank plan, and export its layerset. Import this to your first project and use it as your starting point, then make add'l modifications as necessary before exporting as I described above.

There is also a Reset Names button on the bottom of the Layers dialog, that we set old layernames to system defaults. This won't edit names of custom layers you've added, only the 'system' layers that Chief creates.

Remember to check your Line Weight Scale of your legacy plans if you update the line weights in the layers dialog (these will update if you are importing layers from a newer version of Chief). We used to distribute with a default of 1/600", but now the default is 1/100mm and this affects the scale that the lines are drawn/printed. If you update your old plans to match the OOB line weight assignments, you'll want to update the line weight scale in the Page Setup (Drawing Sheet Setup in X6) too.

You can follow this same process with Annotation Sets and other Defaults too... this way you will have much of the same settings in your legacy plans as new plans. Be aware that even if you do this there will still be some clean-up of removing old setting and/or setting objects to use the default values, etc.

I hope this helps and that you have a relatively smooth transition to the latest version! I think you'll find that there are a lot of fun features to learn about!

Best,
    Last edited by Adrean; 12-20-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Adrean Stephenson
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    Sr. Content Developer
    Product Marketing Manager