lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

What governs the size of the rafter tails?

I have 6" rafters, but I want the rafter tails to be only 4". I thought the size of the rafter tail was governed by the size to the eave sub-fascia. I've changed the size of the sub-fascia and fascia, but my tails are still 6". The size of my rafter.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry,

You control the rafter tails on the ..........Rafter Tails tab of the Build Roof dbx.
    You can either use Stretch to Fit Rafter or specify a height.
    Or you can do it on a per rafter basis in the rafter's Framing Specification dbx.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn....I should have clarified my "rafter tail". I meant just the straight exposed part of the rafter under the eave. The rafter is 6" deep in the attic, but where it is exposed under the eave I wanted it to be only 4" deep. In the CA training video #1030 it says you can ajust the exposed part of the rafter by adjusting the size of the sub-fascia. I tried adjusting the sub-fascia size but nothing changed.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I believe what Glenn pointed out is correct; be sure to specify a rafter tail profile, even if it's just a rectangle. Here is the text straight out of the CA5 manual:

Only one rafter tail profile can be specified at a time, so the Add New
    button is only available when no profile is currently
    selected.

Uncheck Stretch to Fit Rafter to use the rafter tail profile’s default size or to specify
    its Height and Width, below. When checked, the profile is sized by the program
    to match the roof rafters.

Specify the distance that the rafter tail profile should Extend past the inside surface
    of the subfascia. This distance is measured along the top of the rafter tail, so
    it is greater than the length as measured in floor plan view.
    CA 5 / AutoCAD / SketchUp / Artlantis / Hexagon / Genetica
    --
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    BOXX 8300
    Woodcrest Intel Xeon 5130 (4 cores)
    12GB ECC DDR2 667
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
    --
    Robert Lackore
    robl@bourildesign.com
    www.bourildesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    I have 6" rafters, but I want the rafter tails to be only 4". I thought the size of the rafter tail was governed by the size to the eave sub-fascia. I've changed the size of the sub-fascia and fascia, but my tails are still 6". The size of my rafter.
    You must have a soffit for this to work. If you do not want a soffit, still check soffit, make soffit zero thickness, (defaults to 1/16") then make the soffit material OPENING NO MATERIAL, you will be able to see the rafters in render view, however in vector view you will see the soffit.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Larry:

I just tried your experiment. My rafters were 2x10's and the subfascia 2x6's and the tails build as 2x6's. Check your settings - it should work for you. Here's the settings in my model:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails.JPG 
Views:	1287 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	61770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,RoofTab.JPG 
Views:	406 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	61771 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,OptionsTab.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	61772 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,FramingTab.JPG 
Views:	440 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	61773
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    You must have a soffit for this to work. If you do not want a soffit, still check soffit, make soffit zero thickness, (defaults to 1/16") then make the soffit material OPENING NO MATERIAL, you will be able to see the rafters in render view, however in vector view you will see the soffit.
    Not sure this is true with CUSTOM RAFTER TAILS......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    Larry:

I just tried your experiment. My rafters were 2x10's and the subfascia 2x6's and the tails build as 2x6's. Check your settings - it should work for you. Here's the settings in my model:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails.JPG 
Views:	1287 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	61770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,RoofTab.JPG 
Views:	406 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	61771 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,OptionsTab.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	61772 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RafterTails,BldRoof,FramingTab.JPG 
Views:	440 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	61773
    I am not sure if you used custom rafter tails Curtis.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

To all who replied......Thanks for the input. I now have a much better understanding on this subject. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Scott:

No custom tails in my experiment. For 3D camera views, to show the rafter tails, you can edit the soffit material to "no material".
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Well ain't this weird, there are not solid surfaces on my tails and now the rafters themselves are a minimum depth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LARRY RAFTER TAILS.jpg 
Views:	6570 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	61774  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I have been using 2 separate roof planes for a rafter tail that's different from the rafters in width. It does show a line in the elevations but you just delete the line using the edit tool on the layout.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Curt.....You have soffits checked. Scott mentioned that you needed soffits checked for the rafter tails to "cut" the way you are describing in your thread. I don't want soffits. I would like the rafter tails exposed and then have beaded boards as the sheeting. I guess I could make a custom rafter tail profile with a stright top and bottom the length of that the rafter would be exposed under the eave. My biggest problem right now is trying to figure why my custom rafter tail profiles aren't showing correctly in render and vector views.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670