Interior Dimension Nightmare !

Hey Chief Talk..

I'm finally doing it, Looking to buy CA come next week. So I'm spending the weekend going through some tutorials and Munson's Book. Sitting here, at work though and the interior dimensioning is out of control.
    I assume I need to change something in my default setting tab > Interior Dimensions. But nothing seems to work.. I'm sure there is a simple solution.

I apologize in advance for the questions that will be coming over the next week or so. I'll stay active on this forum and help out as I can in the future.

Thanks,

JF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Int Dimension Nightmare.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	61685

Here are my current settings. If this helps any. Doesn't seem to be that many options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Int Dim Settings.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	61686

J,

There are the auto dimensions and also manual with their own settings for what to pick up on. Not sure what your problem/question is.
    Have you explored all the different settings and dimension tools? You can pretty much locate what you want.
    I do remodeling so I have casings selected for door and windows as that is what I most often deal with.
    New construction people probably use centers and main layers for framing etc. It all depends on the type of work you do
    and what you want.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Somewhere one of your exterior walls is open.
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

I've had good luck with the auto exterior dimensions, but I always manually dimension interiors.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

I agree with Kevin. Auto Interior Dimensions almost always creates a ton of extra dimensions that I don't need or want. The extras can be deleted but it's easier to just use Auto Exterior Dimensions and then just manually dimension those Interior areas that are not already covered.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

My fellow Chiefers are correct...in my opinion. I can't get interior dims to create anything more than more work. Exterior works great, but interior auto is a no go in it's current state.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Yes it need more options to locate
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Thanks for the replies...

I was hoping it was just some little option that I couldn't locate. But I guess I'll have to manually dimension interiors from what I'm reading. So, I guess I have to manually dimension interiors so that I can move walls to the correct location.That seems to be a PIA.. It's going to be difficult to shake the AutoCAD ways of thinking. I so wish I could just copy and move walls in an exact dimension. Maybe I'll get to that chapter if it exists shortly... Once I get over the hurdle of learning the wall layout placements, I'll be thrilled. AutoCAD 15 years.. CA only hours... Yikes, I've got a way to go.

Thanks,

JF

No, you don't have to dimension to move walls to the correct location. Just select a wall - there will be temp dims that you can click on and enter the correct value - the wall will then move and connecting walls will be stretched or shortened as needed.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium