bkbw is offline Registered User Promoted

chief vs. 20-20 Design

I've been using Chief Architect for almost one year. I am a kitchen designer and I do
    high-end, highly customized kitchen designs. I've found Chief beneficial, but difficult to do
    more technical, custom cabinets. It's good for a 3d picture, but not as convenient as Auto cad
    for shop, detail drawings.
    I still have a lot to learn, but I'm wondering if I should switch to 20-20 Design. It's more money,
    but it seems to be geared more towards kitchen design. Does anyone out there know the benefits of
    one to the other?

My understanding is that 20-20 is really a Cabinet Design and Detailing Product. If you need to produce shop drawings for the cabinets then that's probably a tool you should have in your bag. OTOH, if you work with quality Cabinet Shops then you can let them produce whatever drawings and CNC output that they need themselves. I know several custom shops that have 20-20 or Cabinet Vision.

As an Architect I always design the Kitchen and Baths myself. I provide enough detail to show the Cabinet Shop what I want but the Shop Drawings, etc are provided by the Shop.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

the majority of the design work we do is custom kitchens and my experience is similar to Joe's. My cabinet shop always does their own drawings. Unless you use an actual cabinet construction software, you're drawings are only good as a basic representation to most custom cabinet shops. And I believe 20-20 is NOT a good tool for custom cabinet design. 20-20's real strength is in its connection with manufacturer catalogs. Unless you're purchasing cabinets from one of those manufacturers, I think Chief is a much better bet.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I am a kitchen designer as well, and we design high end kitchens. I would suggest that unless a designer knows all of the intricacies of cabinet construction, the relationship of the hardware, relativity of the appliances, limitations of box construction, etc., then it may be better to just design the face of it, and what outcome you want, and let the cabinet shop do the final design [for review]. The reason comes down primarily to a liability issue. If you do every specific detail, and the cabinet shop builds it accordingly, then you're on the hook for a re-do. If the designer collaborates with the shop, then the outcome will be much more predictable, and of less consequence to the project schedule.

[EDIT]
    That is of course, if you're ordering full custom cabinetry.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

I checked out that Sketchlist. You pretty much have to construct your piece of furniture (or cabinet) from scratch. Not very efficient for kitchens. Might be okay for custom furniture pieces or ultra custom built in cabinet units, but doesn't look like an efficient kitchen design program.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Reed, just sent you a PM
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

bkbw is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thank you for the helpful advice.
    I am curious as to whether Chief's 3D capabilities match up to those of 20-20 Design.
    Which of the two can create a more custom, realistic looking kitchen?
    I've viewed pictures of both and haven't been able to see much of a difference.

Jerred

Burton Kitchen and Bath Works
    burtonworks.com

What are some of the characteristics, details, whatever, that makes these high-end, highly-customized kitchen packages so challenging, drawings-wise?

And what exactly is meant by "shop drawings?" How do they differ from what is shown in Chief's sample documents, all those kitchen plans, elevations, and section details?

If it is time to build, I use eCabinets.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

I'm a kitchen designer and have both. Some time ago I. Posted a comparison of the two on here so you might want to search it.

The short version is 2020 Design will do pricing on many mfg catalogs if you sell the brand and they support it. (my two better custom brands don't) They have another product specifically for shop drawings but my understanding is your better off with Cabinet Vision or the like.

Chief does better working drawings for design purposes and installation. I do a lot of custom and only use 2020 for quick easy pricing. I did make the mistake of buying the Interiors version (or letting them sell it to me ;-) so I often have to export some things to CAD. Still within CA it is possible to draw much more of what I need to give a maker for order, in custom, than I can in 2020.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co