Hybrid View

Interesting Question/Topic
    I started out as an electrical engineer, shot deer, chamois, thar and pigs on foot and from helicopters for a living for 7 years. Did electrical marine work in between. Was an area electrical inspector for a short period. Worked for an Nth American Co as a development engineer for 8 years, got sick of travelling, so gave that up. I was alway interested in the construction industry so started out in a small way, built up my brand and expanded into high end residential as well as commercial. During this period I worked with some very interesting and predominate architects, a lot of the work was quite complexed and complicated and so I become more heavily involved with the design side, in the end I was providing the architects with full construction drawings as in a some cases they didn't have the on site knowledge to make things work, in the end I was providing a design and build service. In the early stages of this process it was draughting machines and pencils, got sick of the smudgy paper then moved into CAD which I taught myself, started with a basic program, tried others, had CA since V10 now have VX5 which I think is very good, easy to use, suits most of my needs except for a few fiddle arounds. Been using CAD programs for 18-20 years, still learning, still not an expert. I have be accredited by the NZ DHB and are now a qualified licensed designer, as are architects.

I had the construction company for 26 years and are now semi retired, now doing design work mainly for residential new builds and alterations providing the complete package, concepts, full design, building consents and project management.

I still enjoy doing the design work as it keeps you in touch with the industry and people, takes the boredom out of sitting on the back of the boat dangling a fishing rod, walking through the bush looking for a deer or walking up a river fly fishing for a trout, Yer right!

In the past 5-7 years the construction industry has gone through some major changes in NZ, now every one that is involved with the construction industry, professional or qualified trades people have to be licensed, many are finding it to tough and are moving on, the good ones are staying.

The construction industry has become more than just hammer and nails, its a profession now, if you keep up with the speed of the ever increasing changes you can make an enjoyable and rewarding profession out of it.

I have really enjoyed my time in the construction industry, designing and building is another form of creative art, starting with a few materials which are basically formed from clay, stones, trees, metals etc, it gives one the ability to create, form, interact, stand back and look at where you have come from and where you are going.

PS. I haven't had a job selling bread yet, maybe in the next life, I'm sure the job could be moulded into something