Room Planner App to CA?

Can the files from the room planner app (Ipad app) be moved into Chief?
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

I just read an article in builder magazine about how x6 will be cross platform and allow you to run your single license on either or both platforms (windows and mac)-obviously not simultaneously. The article mentions the Room Planner App by Chief which only currently runs on Apple Iphones or tablets (other hand held devices are to be forthcoming, but when and on what?).

I went to the link with a demo video of the app and it looks more like homeowner and presentation orientation of design on the fly. From the vid, I couldn't get a sense of how easy or usable it will be to measure and document As-Is conditions and to create As Built drawings.
    It says you can import into Chief (well it's a Chief App so why wouldn't it?). Didn't say if it imports native (Like 3d Home Architect did) or in what format. Maybe it uses old Chief Technology(used to be able to put 2.5 houses on a floppy disk!) or is really efficient. Otherwise, how could it run 3d etc on a phone or Ipad?

Again, it looks more like a homeowner/presentation tool (more potential users and customers for the app) than a professional site documentation tool. The $9.99 app was currently available for free download on the Builder linked site. Maybe Chief will create a Room Planner Pro that would integrate a laser measuring tool for site measuring, a GPS for real world floor hgts and exterior grades and incorporate site taken photos etc. Of course someone would have to create a Pro Tablet or phone that could handle it. Till then though, I would guess a pro version of Room Planner would cost us a couple bucks.

I may be speaking out of turn here, has anyone tried using Room Planner to take As-Is measurements of an existing structure? If it allows and makes field measuring easier, then I'll shut my trap! Otherwise, I can't afford an iphone or ipad.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    Can the files from the room planner app (Ipad app) be moved into Chief?

See this Help Database Article for more data:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02302/

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

X5 can only import images from the current version of Room Planner.

X6 will be able to import plans from Room Planner 2.0. Both new versions are currently being beta tested.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Hi Dermot,

Is Chief working on an Android version of Room Planner?

Thank you,
    Paul
    Paul Pearson
    Pearson Studio 1

Windows Pro 7, 64 Bit
    Dell Vostro 430, Intel Core i7-860
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
    1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT220

X2 thru X5 w/SSA

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    See this Help Database Article for more data:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02302/

DJP
    Hey David,

thanks for the link, very informative. Pretty much shows that the first incarnation of Room Planner was not very well integrated with Chief and pretty much a bogus tool. Dermot pretty much corroborate that with his post. Looks like the new version shows promise though and even at $10, you can't beat the price if you own an iphone or an ipad.

The potential for being a real usable field tool is there if Chief would fully embrace and develop it.

In an unrelated subject, I can't figure out why I'm getting a delay or lag while typing this post. It's like using my deceased Dad's original Radio Shack computer and word processor. Also, why the option in the ChiefTalk menu to "Switch Editor to Source Mode" which by default prevent the Enter key from starting a new line?-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4