Using a High Resolution

Just put X5 on a new Dell XPS 15" Laptop that has 3200x1800 resolution.
    When I open up plans, it seems to play havoc with text and dimensions. Although text is listed at one size, it dimensions about half of that.
    Lots of other problems with dimensions, pick boxes, etc.
    My question is this...is Chief not able to work at such a high resolution? Seems a shame to have to take a beautiful screen and turn it way down to do work.

That resolution is overkill for a 15" monitor. Even a 30" monitor generally won't be that high.
    Hi Res Monitors that are more than 1920x1200 require Video Cards and HDMI connections v1.4a or better to be able to display at higher resolutions.

As far as the text size is concerned, min pixel size can be set in preferences for how it displays on the screen - but that has nothing to do with how it will print. Printed size is another setting.

BTW, what version of X5 are you using (32 bit or 64 bit)?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Thanks for the reply. Using 64 bit.
    The laptop uses a NVidia GT 750m with 3GB. The screen is beautiful at 3200X1800 and works great with all other programs. Super crisp and bright. Looks just like a Mac Retina screen.
    It just seems to really mess up Chief Architect. I'm not much of a computer guy though...maybe it is an issue with Windows 8.

X5 should handle the higher resolution just fine. You may need to tweak the preferences for size of dimension numbers. Since the setting is in pixels you will need to at least double the value, or set it to zero so that the actual size of the text is used.

X5 is not a DPI aware application so when the system scales up dialog boxes etc. the text won't be smooth.

X6 is a DPI aware application so will handle this better.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.