Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beach House

Beach House

I am designing a beach house that is supported on wood columns. The underside of the framing will be about 8' above the concrete parking pad. The area that the house is going to be built is a 160 mph wind load area. Any ideas on how to frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta
    Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.
    Bluegrass - Fastest Music Alive

Michael,

Hire a Structural Engineer that has experience with this type of building.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

160! wow,,,, engineer
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

Unless of course you love being sued.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Michael:

You've received good advice so far... here's a link to FEMA and some of their publications which may be useful to your gaining some additional knowledge on the subject:

http://www.fema.gov/building-science...ons-flood/wind
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I wonder if you could find what you are looking for from the Wood Frame Construction Manual for high wind loads etc.

Here.

It is a prescriptive alternative to the IRC accepted throughout the states.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Quote Originally Posted by carpenterguy View Post
    I wonder if you could find what you are looking for from the Wood Frame Construction Manual for high wind loads etc.

Here.

It is a prescriptive alternative to the IRC accepted throughout the states.

Andy.
    The problem is that without knowing the size of the house on top of the columns you can't calculate the lateral resistance needed. Is it 1 story, 2 stories? Is it 20'x20' or 80'x100'? At 160 mph the force per square ft of wall & roof surface is going to be very high. IAE, those columns will need to be embedded into the ground and will have to be able to take the full horizontal load without breaking. It's also likely that there is going to be storm surge which the columns need to resist.

Hire a Structural Engineer. That's what they do.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I know a guy at Boeing.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

I'm seeing a couple questions in the thread. One is the one you asked.."Any ideas on how to frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?"...Another seems to be the one that the responders have replied to which is how to engineer the member sizes and loads for the framing after you figure out how to..."frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?"

If the first question is one you want answered then from my experience any time you have a series of 'wood columns' you will also have a series of 'wood beams' with associated floor joists making up the floor system with walls etc. to follow. So if the first question is the one you asked then sink the columns, hang the beams off the columns and frame to the beams.

If you're asking how to size the columns and beams for the loads you stated (which I didn't read in your question) then of course you need an engineer to size and spec everything.

As they were rebuilding from Sandy I saw a TV show where they had a very, very nice home built on a column (post) and beam system and the columns were sunk deeply into the coastal sand, and in between the columns were sacrificial cmu block walls. The cmu walls were there to create a closed and finished look between the columns but if there was ever any storm surge, and there certainly was with Sandy, those block walls were designed to wash away without putting any stress on the columns that were holding up the home.

After those cmu walls were washed away the remaining columns created very little resistance to the wave action and the home weathered the storm quite easily and the home was damaged very little other than the cmu walls that needed replacing. Pretty slick.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Larry,

It's not just the sizing of the Columns, Beams and Joists. The connections themselves need to be able to withstand the Wind Loads. With the wind speeds indicated it would require some special connections. Everything would need to be calculated and specified by someone that knows what they are doing.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    I'm seeing a couple questions in the thread. One is the one you asked.."Any ideas on how to frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?"...Another seems to be the one that the responders have replied to which is how to engineer the member sizes and loads for the framing after you figure out how to..."frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?"

If the first question is one you want answered then from my experience any time you have a series of 'wood columns' you will also have a series of 'wood beams' with associated floor joists making up the floor system with walls etc. to follow. So if the first question is the one you asked then sink the columns, hang the beams off the columns and frame to the beams.

If you're asking how to size the columns and beams for the loads you stated (which I didn't read in your question) then of course you need an engineer to size and spec everything.

As they were rebuilding from Sandy I saw a TV show where they had a very, very nice home built on a column (post) and beam system and the columns were sunk deeply into the coastal sand, and in between the columns were sacrificial cmu block walls. The cmu walls were there to create a closed and finished look between the columns but if there was ever any storm surge, and there certainly was with Sandy, those block walls were designed to wash away without putting any stress on the columns that were holding up the home.

After those cmu walls were washed away the remaining columns created very little resistance to the wave action and the home weathered the storm quite easily and the home was damaged very little other than the cmu walls that needed replacing. Pretty slick.

YAA think it may have been designed by an Engineer. Most Eastern states require same near the ocean.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    No long drawn out thinking required here. I design in a high earthquake zone, three fault lines converge here, with high wind loads. Lateral design is a must on every design I do. While i know what has to be done and could design these items all the time, I only design the architectural plans and send them over to my engineer. Why take the chance of losing everything just so you can look like the professional of the year. I find a fat bank account more attractive than paying a lawyer.
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Larry,

It's not just the sizing of the Columns, Beams and Joists. The connections themselves need to be able to withstand the Wind Loads. With the wind speeds indicated it would require some special connections. Everything would need to be calculated and specified by someone that knows what they are doing.
    Not quite sure how to put this but...duh. There's no question EVERYTHING would need to be calc'd and spec'd and I'm pretty sure that's why I typed, "of course you need an engineer to size and spec everything," but Ron kinda replied in the same vane so I must have written something that was ambiguous at best and read like I was suggesting that engineering was not needed, even though I wrote "of course you need an engineer to size and spec everything."

I'll have to work on my writing skills.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    No long drawn out thinking required here. I design in a high earthquake zone, three fault lines converge here, with high wind loads. Lateral design is a must on every design I do. While i know what has to be done and could design these items all the time, I only design the architectural plans and send them over to my engineer. Why take the chance of losing everything just so you can look like the professional of the year. I find a fat bank account more attractive than paying a lawyer.
    Again, this seems so obvious. Are there designers/architects who DON'T use an engineer for such things?

Is that really what Michael was asking in the OP? Should he or should he not use an engineer to design/spec the framing (yes every part)?

If that's his question then it's a no-brainer yes. I thought maybe he was asking how to frame in the floor structure since those were the words he used..."Any ideas on how to frame in the floor structure to the wood columns?" Maybe he wants some ideas on how to frame the floor structure then send it to an engineer? What say you Michael?

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Again, this seems so obvious. Are there designers/architects who DON'T use an engineer for such things?
    The real question is....is there a building department who would ever be willing to accept drawings for such a sensitive type of construction without engineered plans? Granted a basic house is one thing, but anything in the seismic zone or on the ocean is entirely another.

To help answer the original post...

FEMA guidelines are an excellent resource in terms of means and methods. Any home built near the water in what is known as the V zone (velocity zone) is required to be on pilings which are driven into the sand until they reach bed rock. Pilings are typically set at eight feet or ten feet on center. Lateral forces on the structure require the piles to be cross braced. All floor joist are strapped to the girders with ties downs made by Simpson or equal.

160 mile an hour wind zones also require every floor joist to be strapped to the girders which are through bolted to the piles. Every exterior wall stud is tied to every floor joist...every rafter is to be tied to every stud. High wind zone construction methods also require ridge beam and rafter connections along with header tie downs at all window and door openings. It's all in the wood framing manual and on the FEMA web site.

Here's a typical piling layout for a beach house....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FEMA compliant wood pile and floor framing.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	61460  
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons