Custom window symbols. How are they working for you?

I use Sketchup for building custom symbols, and have been exploring the way Chief X6 does this window symbol thing. It is not ideal.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Chief has done in creating this class of symbol, is to make the symbol such that it is only placed in a wall, and when doing so, the wall gets a rectangular cutout per your input specifications, height and width. The symbol is resized to meet your h x w.

Any object you do in 3D will convert to a window symbol. See the images attached here to show what I got by creating a sphere in SU, then importing it as a window, and placing it in an exterior wall.

You can see that a.) the cutout is rectangular and is set to the x by y limits of the sphere, and b.) the sphere is compressed to a thickness equal to the total thickness of the wall assembly.

I have found the window symbol behavior far different from that for custom doors, in these ways:

1. First and foremost, a custom door gets a frame from Chief, while a window does not.

2. Next, almost as big as the first, the user can access the symbol for editing for a window, but not for a door.

3. Symbol behavior in the door mode behaves strangely for me using the sphere object. The sphere is compressed, but not to wall thickness,
    and not stretched fully to the height by width.

4. Door thickness control in the spec dialog is limited to some kind of maximum. For my 7-9/16 o.o.b. stucco wall ass'y, 4" was all I could get.
    There is no control at all for thickness, in custom window mode. Whatever the object thickess in the symbol's Y axis, the symbol is fixed at
    the thickness of the wall assembly.

5. I have tried everything I can, but cannot get the 2D CAD block representation of a custom window to do what is needed, i.e., look like
    a window opening in plan view. The block will not go inside the wall. But custom doors work fine.

So, what I have learned so far is this.

1. Build a custom window symbol with a frame, build the object to be only rectangular, and take care to match the symbol's total
    thickness to that of the wall assembly into which it will go.

2. Accept the bad behavior for a custom window in 2D planview, and deal with it using CAD.

3. If your custom door is to have an arch top, your custom slab object should be modeled with the arch. Chief will into arch your custom
    door slab like it will for the in-program full lite glass slab.

4. Blocking a door to a window won't work when the window is a custom-symbol-type window.

So, to go back to the headline of this thread, how are these custom door and window symbols working for you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-06_1048.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	62310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-06_1049.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	62311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-06_1114.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	62312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-06_1116.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	62313  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

I find you can make pretty much any window you want. Sketchup is great for this, just model your window to fit the wall you are going to use for the import.
    Chief can assign a frame there is a dialog box for it.
    I think this thread should explain it.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....hlight=windows

Doors is easy enough, but you are right, you have to get it right first time, I seen no reason why you cannot have a door of almost any thickness, its just important to get the bouning box right.

This thread should give some insight, but I only really reach enlightenment by the last post.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ghlight=origin

Did you see my Darn cat flap post, this is in fact a really thick "door", the bounding box is placed to correspond to the doors surface, this way the door opens properly and the door hardware fits flush to the real doors surface
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....&highlight=cat
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.