Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blinds can be a versatile symbol category. Let’s look at their characteristics;
    • They are designed by Chief to fit in front of the window
    • They are designed by Chief to be ¼” less than the inside of the frame height and width
    • They have an origin that is frame thickness plus 1/8”
    Our new symbol will have to adjust for these built in characteristics.

I’ve first created a molding that has the setback and radius that I want .You can see this in the plan attached above; I’ve saved it to the library.

My default window is a 3040 so I’ve drawn a polyline box in elevation with that dimension; I then convert it to a 3D molding polyline, and assign my stucco wrap molding to it. I then convert it to an interior fixture symbol, and save it to the library.

If you try using it as a blind at this point it will fit like a blind; so we need to make some adjustments to the symbol to make it work for our purpose.

Open the symbol, and under the 3D tab adjust the Y value to 11” to put the blind on the outside of the window, and adjust the Z value to -2 1/8” to bring the symbol down to the bottom of the window.
    Then go to the sizing tab to adjust the size; X is 33 ¾” to expand the width, Z is 45 ¾” to expand the height. This is somewhat counter intuitive, but that’s how the sizing tab works.

Now we can apply the symbol the default window, and place and resize in the plan.

Here is some information on the window that I’m using: The frame is 2” side, top, and bottom, the frame depth is 3” and the inset is 5 13/16”. You can use any values you want here, but you’ll have to adjust the symbol to compensate.

I’ve set the stucco wall thickness to 13 9/16” but this doesn’t matter as long as you have enough depth to make the window work.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

I got stumped at this point. Can't figure out how to get the symbol tight to the opening. How about a hint, Bill?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recessed Window 2.jpg 
Views:	1285 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	61250

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Got it, thanks Bill. Very clever. Seems a little more convoluted than altering your wall layers and just using a casing molding profile, but I can see the advantages to this approach.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Hi Bryce,
    I developed this method to get automated interior radiused drywall wrap which cannot be done by manipulating wall layers. As you mention it does have advantages for exterior wraps as well; the primary one is that I can use the wall layers as I normally would to get my framing.

This method can be used to show a screen window, or decorative ironwork automatically.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Speaking of rounded corners, Almost every job these day have radius drywall corners, too small for a curved wall. I wish Chief would give an easy way to deal with this. Maybe something like corner boards could work but even better would be auto corners.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Hi Perry,
    you mean like this?
    These are simply double walls one with drywall one side and framing, the other is just drywall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hey Perry, you mean like this.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	61256  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Maybe this will give a clue as to how to get bullnose window trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullnose Casing.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	61257  
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Hi Perry,
    you mean like this?
    These are simply double walls one with drywall one side and framing, the other is just drywall.
    Yes, very nice ,Bill.
    I just wish it was easier than having to make special walls etc.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post

Well Joe, you are a little late to the party. that is nothing new. You did not address the deep set window with the bullnose trim as Bill Emery did.

I did a video on the deep set window that I think would be the easiest solution, drawback not getting all the stud framing. Bill came up with a very clever solution that can be used for a number of things, but again depending on how he does it, he either does not get the extra wall framing or he has to live with very deep studs....... 16" studs and top plates if you want the window inset 12".

I get what you did Bill, thanks so much for your method. I have not had time to try it, but I will as soon as I have time. I have a feeling this will take a bit of work to get it right.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Ok just do it with walls like I do and it frames good, top of opening is a ceiling plane, bottom of opening is a roof plane and you can slope the bottom b/c its a roof plane.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Ok just do it with walls like I do and it frames good, top of opening is a ceiling plane, bottom of opening is a roof plane and you can slope the bottom b/c its a roof plane.
    Yes, I have done it that way too. But a lot of work. The easiest solution would be if CA would allow us to define a wall type that has two layers of studs. As it is now, we can get the two layers of studs, but only the stud layer that is defined as a MAIN LAYER, will build the studs. The second stud layer will not frame the studs since it is not defined as a MAIN LAYER.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Agree, it would be a very lot easier. 2 framing layers in 1 wall is a must have.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Joe, this would also work for the deep set windows, you just change the molding type, seems simple to me
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I like double walls with the windows placed in the interior wall and with the casing suppressed as the best overall method for a deep inset in a wood framed walls. The framing shows exactly as it should. This method requires the "window treatment" or similar method as the casing cant be recessed

The "window treatment" method that I have shown has some limitations, but as far as I know it is the only way to automate interior radius drywall wraps; which is why I initially developed it. We don't have the option on the interior or recessing the casing to the sheathing or framing level.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    I like double walls with the windows placed in the interior wall and with the casing suppressed as the best overall method for a deep inset in a wood framed walls. The framing shows exactly as it should. This method requires the "window treatment" or similar method as the casing cant be recessed

The "window treatment" method that I have shown has some limitations, but as far as I know it is the only way to automate interior radius drywall wraps; which is why I initially developed it. We don't have the option on the interior or recessing the casing to the sheathing or framing level.
    Bill,

You can offset the frame - which has the same effect as recess but in this case from the inside.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium