Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Sorry for any confusion I really want to learn about building the model in Chief and building inset windows in the field as I'll have to create details for the latter if Chief can't get it right.

Thanks for the vid Scott. I think it finally sunk in here as well. I didn't think the thickened material could be anything - thought it would have to be stucco to work but apparently not. Would indeed be amazing to see two framed walls in the scenario you illustrated.

I did indeed ask about actual field building the walls as well and the reason I asked was I see a LOT of these inset windows in the development I'm working in, and as I mentioned, they are actually required. Since I work so closely with my builder (who hasn't built here yet) I was wondering if anyone here had any options up their sleeves that I/we might be missing.
    Sounds like you are dealing with Santa Luz. They do require the deep inset windows. It would be great if CA allowed us to have a double framed stud wall layer. If this were possible, you could probably do a pretty good job of detailing this condition with the least amount of work. Sections should show well and the plan view should show well and the material list should be pretty close.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Using Chief, use a double wall (create them as though it was built in the field double framed) and place a pass thru in the exterior wall and the window placed in the interior wall. You might need to add an exterior casing (maybe stucco) but you will have something very close to how it would be built in the real world.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Build-Build: we double frame...bearing 2x6 wall on exterior bearing foundation with necessary structure, insulation, waterproofing, etc, and a 2x4 wall set back as far as you want recessed on the slab (non-bearing) with gap in between...this is cheaper then 2x10s or 12s...those are super pricey compared to double framing, and you can make the recess whatever you want with slopes, slants, etc. around the opening....we do these a lot...looking out my office window right now that was done that way.

We often recess a window in a 2x6 wall by using 2x3 or 2x4 window nailers...by the time the foam on the stucco is in place you get a 3-4" recess.

good luck.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Here is a deep stucco wrap with a radius, done as a window treatment (specifically a "custom" blind with a large positive Y offset).
    The wrap will stretch nicely as the window is re sized, and can be set as the default window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEEP STUCCO WRAP.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	61240  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

OK You just blew my mind Bill. I MUST learn that technique just so my mind can rest a little.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer View Post
    Build-Build: we double frame...bearing 2x6 wall on exterior bearing foundation with necessary structure, insulation, waterproofing, etc, and a 2x4 wall set back as far as you want recessed on the slab (non-bearing) with gap in between...this is cheaper then 2x10s or 12s...those are super pricey compared to double framing, and you can make the recess whatever you want with slopes, slants, etc. around the opening....we do these a lot...looking out my office window right now that was done that way.

We often recess a window in a 2x6 wall by using 2x3 or 2x4 window nailers...by the time the foam on the stucco is in place you get a 3-4" recess.

good luck.
    Excellent Ben, we almost always come across the most efficient way to do things but this helps immensely as a place to start. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Here is a deep stucco wrap with a radius, done as a window treatment (specifically a "custom" blind with a large positive Y offset).
    The wrap will stretch nicely as the window is re sized, and can be set as the default window.
    Bill, Would you mind posting the plan so we can study it? Thanks.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Sounds like you are dealing with Santa Luz. They do require the deep inset windows. It would be great if CA allowed us to have a double framed stud wall layer. If this were possible, you could probably do a pretty good job of detailing this condition with the least amount of work. Sections should show well and the plan view should show well and the material list should be pretty close.
    Yeah Scott Santa Luz. I hear there's some good golfing out there

I just spoke to my builder and he says, "Just leave them (the insets) off for now." And I'm sayin', "We can leave them off for only so long during design and no matter how long we leave them off you ARE going to have to build them." A little denial goes a long way.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

You can do the surround with a custom casing profile too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recessed Window.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	61241
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Here is one I did

Name:	THICK WALL 1.PNG 
Views:	150 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	61243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THICK WALL 2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	61244  
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Here is the plan with the "window treatments". It takes some knowledge of symbols, and of the window DBX to make this work.
    Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Here is the same method for an interior drywall wrap. Notice also the rounded wall corner done with a double wall

Name:	interior wrap.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	61248  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Here is the plan with the "window treatments". It takes some knowledge of symbols, and of the window DBX to make this work.
    Let me know what you think.
    Okay Bill, you got me. I guess I do not have enough knowledge of symbols. I see you left the cad drawing of the wrap, but I don't know how to use it. How do I use this as a symbol which I assume will then be used as a BLINDS TREATMENT.

Not perfect, if I look close, it appears the wrap is sticking out on one window and sticking in on another, but pretty darn good, the best I have seen.

So how do I use this as a symbol?

This is pretty darn good Bill.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hey Bill, how about a vid?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX