Thread: "No Plot" lines

"No Plot" lines

I would like to be able to draw a reference grid, say to place light fixtures in a kitchen. I'd like that grid to display and to be accessible to snaps. A refernce layer set doesn't seem to be the answer. I can obviously use seperate annosets for working and switch when I send to layout, but I think that's at best a step sideways and possibly a step backwards - I really like to use the layout to open plans and I wish the layout would open the plan in the annoset it was sent in, which would be the anno set that I would work in.
    I tried setting the lineweight to 0, with no success - at least using a print to PDF (I use cutePDF, but could change if someone reported success with this technique).
    Has anyone got a technique for this?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Draw your grid on a separate layer using white lines.
    White won't print.
    Or, use any color lines and turn the layer off before printing.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    I would like to be able to draw a reference grid, say to place light fixtures in a kitchen. I'd like that grid to display and to be accessible to snaps. A refernce layer set doesn't seem to be the answer. I can obviously use seperate annosets for working and switch when I send to layout, but I think that's at best a step sideways and possibly a step backwards - I really like to use the layout to open plans and I wish the layout would open the plan in the annoset it was sent in, which would be the anno set that I would work in.
    I tried setting the lineweight to 0, with no success - at least using a print to PDF (I use cutePDF, but could change if someone reported success with this technique).
    Has anyone got a technique for this?
    Matt, I think with just one extra click, you can do what you are doing now.

For example, make a copy of you "Plan" layerset, and call it "Plan-Working". Do your work in the Plan-Working layerset (driven by an annoset) but send the "Plan" layerset to layout. The one sent to layout will have layers for things like your grid (which can be whatever color and style you want) turned off, but everything else is the same as the Plan-Working set. The extra click comes from when you open the Plan view from the layout, your first step before working is switching to the annoset that auto-switches your layerset to the "Plan-Working" set.

This sounds more complicated than it is in practice. Come to think of it, since Chief doesn't yet auto load the annoset used for the view sent to layout when opening a view from the layout, there really isn't an extra click to this method after all.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Guys - thanks for the suggestions - I may try one, or the other , or both.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6