LeeL is offline Registered User Promoted

large file size pdf

Hello,
    I am having trouble with one page on my layout being larger in file size than other comparable pages. When I print to pdf, this page is 15,097 KB. Another page printed separately from this same layout is only 81 KB. The Chief Architect layout file is 666 KB. I think it is a problem with something I have on that particular page in Chief Architect rather than a pdf problem. Are there certain things in Chief that could cause this? I have printed this same layout at an earlier stage in design and it was only 1644 KB. I have changed some things since then but nothing I can think of would make it this much larger. I have attached the drawing file and layout file. The pdf file is too large to attach. The problematic page is page two on the layout. It involves the "grading" and "landscaping" layer sets from the drawing. I would appreciate any help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

The grading plan is causing the problem. I printed a PDF with, and one without the grading plan and the PDF size was manageable without the grading plan.

Unfortunately I don't know what the problem is within the grading plan that is causing the large PDF problem.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

thanks, at least that narrows it down!

mehen is offline Registered User Promoted
    Have you tried to "Flatten" the pdf file? I have had a problem like this before - although not as extreme - and ran the file through iAnnotate on my iPad and it made the file LOTS smaller and more manageable.
    Mark Henson
    GinkgoHouse Architecture, LLC
    X5.2.1.3x64

I've had problems similar to this. What caused mine was chain link fencing and rotating the image/plan once it was on the layout page.
    X2, X3, X4 & X5 Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHZ Quad Core
    ASUS GeForce GTX 680 Video Card
    16GB Hyper X (2x8GB)
    Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD with WD Blue 1TB

Father, You are right, if I don't rotate the plans in the layout, it is A LOT smaller! I don't have a chain link fence, but there are a lot of lines in the contours and trees and other things. Thanks! I still don't know what changed since the time I printed it and it was only 1644 KB. They were rotated at that point too. I guess it doesn't matter.

Mark, What does it mean to "flatten" a pdf?

I just re-rotated the plans and it is printing at a manageable size now. I guess there is a certain degree of rotation that makes the lines/file too complicated.

mehen is offline Registered User Promoted
    I don't know what is happening from a "digital" standpoint, but when the PDF loads from your plans - I do see the "layers" popping up one at a time - even as a PDF. When the file is flattened, in my experience, it is just a bunch of dots on a page without any additional digital info connected to them.
    Mark Henson
    GinkgoHouse Architecture, LLC
    X5.2.1.3x64

You can change the (PDF) resolution it's saved as, to make it smaller.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Thanks guys, that helps