Need Help with doing Front Elevation dimensions...

Hello, all. I'd like to see examples of your front elevation dimensions and how you performed these. I'm particularly interested in knowing how to do vertical dimensioning from the front elevation (might not be the correct term) to capture plate heights for rooms, roofs, etc. Obviously, the manual and auto dimensioning tools take care of width and lengths, but how can I now do the same for front elevations.

Thanks everyone.
    Roz

Quote Originally Posted by RosHall View Post
    Hello, all. I'd like to see examples of your front elevation dimensions and how you performed these. I'm particularly interested in knowing how to do vertical dimensioning from the front elevation (might not be the correct term) to capture plate heights for rooms, roofs, etc. Obviously, the manual and auto dimensioning tools take care of width and lengths, but how can I now do the same for front elevations.

Thanks everyone.
    Roz
    rOZ,

I use a series of markers and dashed lines to indicate various heights. Everything is blocked and saved to the library ti use in any plan any time.

Here's a rough pic, obviously you need to adjust to taste.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEIGHT MARKERS 1.PNG 
Views:	484 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	61212
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Here you go. I use CAD lines and elevation points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elev.JPG 
Views:	1286 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	61233  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by joey3032 View Post
    Here you go. I use CAD lines and elevation points.
    Hey Ros,

I do it similar to Joey's method but just wanted to add one thing. I'll use a window as a reference and take a vertical measurement of a window then check the window dbx for the head hgt that I typically set at 83 3/8" or whatever you've set as your default window head. Using that reference, I'll draw a horizontal cad line that will represent my subfloor level and dimension from the top of the window to that cad line. Then I'll move the cad line with dimension to 83 3/8" and will have an accurate location of my 1st floor level (top of subfloor). Then all you have to do is copy the CAD line to correspond with the top plate (97 1/8" for a pre-cut 8' first floor framed wall). (-)11.5" for the top of the masonry foundation wall (if using 2x10 flr joists and a treated sill plate- I typically designate the top and bottom of footing, the top of masonry foundation wall, 1st flr subfloor level, top plate of 1st floor wall framing etc).

One other thing, if you have a front porch, like in Joey's very nice example, you will not be able to pull a vertical dimension off of the front elevation windows that are under the front porch roof because the front porch "room" gets in the way. You would have to take a full elevation view from inside the porch room, then take your vertical window dimension and create a cad line and do a copy-paste-in place on the front elevation view. Or you'll have to use a second floor window and reference down from the second floor.

Quick question for Joey: First of all, you do beautiful construction drawings, very professional and first rate. Nicer than mine for sure. I noticed that you designate your floor levels as F.F.L. (Finish Floor Level) but that on the 2nd floor of your example your dimension from FFL to Top Pl is 8'-1 1/8". To me that means you are calling your subfloor level FFL. Am I missing something or just being too anal?-Brad
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 10-26-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: additional commentary
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

It's too bad the auto exterior dims. don't work like we want them to. We need more options ,like find floor and ridge heights. Right now its a mess.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    It's too bad the auto exterior dims. don't work like we want them to. We need more options ,like find floor and ridge heights. Right now its a mess.
    I've been waiting for an auto floor level, top plate marker top of foundation marker option etc since before the X-versions. I guess the save as method is currently the most efficient solution available but I just recreate and copy them from elevation to elevation instead-too lazy to be more efficient.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz View Post
    I've been waiting for an auto floor level, top plate marker top of foundation marker option etc since before the X-versions. I guess the save as method is currently the most efficient solution available but I just recreate and copy them from elevation to elevation instead-too lazy to be more efficient.-BB
    The irony of it is that Chief already has the auto exterior elevation tool, it just doesn't work as advertized
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

To me that means you are calling your subfloor level FFL. Am I missing something or just being too anal?-Brad
    I do call that the finished floor line. I worked (interned) for an architect in the late 80's that taught me that. I know it goes against what we were taught in school, but his theory was that the only people on the job site that are going to use those dims are the framers, and to them, that is the finished floor height. They could care less about what type of flooring is going in each room, they are only concerned about the sub floor to plate.

I guess after 20 something years I have just gotten used to doing that way and don't think about it anymore.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

That's what I thought Joey, you're using FFL the same as I had been designating mine as FF for years but more recently got anal about it not being verbally accurate even though, like you I was using it for designating my subfloor, just like I always dimension to from interior as 3 1/2". I've seen architects and some plan companies dimensioning interior walls as "4" which I never understood. They refered to it a "nominal" and I refer to it as "BS" and confusing. I do dimension the outer walls as "6" but that's to include my typical 1/2"sheathing(I don't use the 9/16" actual osb dimension in this instance since it gives dumb dimension numbers showing 16ths on the interiors).

For the sake of clarity, I currently call my "finish floor level" either SFL or Sub-Floor Level. I'll reserve the use of FFL for the finish floor levels of existing structures when doing additions. When doing additions it's more critical that I differentiate FFL from SFL. Since getting laid off from a bankrupt builder in 2009, I've been doing mostly additions freelance and have only designed two customs homes in that time frame.-BB

Perry, what am I missing with this auto exterior elevation tool? Are you talking about the tool that creates all 4 exterior elevation camera views? If so what part is not working as advertised or how is it advertised? Thanks, Brad

The irony of it is that Chief already has the auto exterior elevation tool, it just doesn't work as advertized
    Agreed, it is a mess, I do not use it either, more efficient methods.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Sorry , its auto exterior dimension tool
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Sorry , its auto exterior dimension tool
    I didn't realize that we had one for elevation views. I'll have to check it out so I can Greckz about it too! East Coasting at 50 degrees today and too cold to finish putting the acrylic coating on my back porch roof-now what will I do with the "rest" of my Sunday (rest?!). Thanks again for the info.- Mr Oblivious