lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Hole in ceiling plane

I manually drew a sloped ceiling plane below a roof sloped at the same pitch, which is all on the first floor. The ceiling plane is approx 16" lower then the roof surface, which has 2x8 rafters. I then installed skylights in the roof. I now want to install ceiling holes in the sloped ceiling that I created. I saw in a previous thread where you should first move the roof up a floor, which I did. I then drew a rectangular p-line and converted it to "hole in ceiling platform", but when I go to a render view it is not there. Am I going about this in the right way? It seems no matter what I do the "hole in ceiling platform" is not recognizing the manually drawn sloped ceiling plane. As always, all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Give me 5 minutes and you will have your video.... this is a pretty good video.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    Scott--Thank you much! You always impress me. I need to go back over the video a couple of times. There are many little "tidbits" to pick up, but you have the answer. What I didn't say in my thread is that at one point I had a level ceiling then built the skylights. The customer decided they wanted a sloped ceiling so I unchecked "ceiling over room", left the skylights in place and built the sloped ceiling plane. That's where I got myself in trouble. Probably if I would have deleted the skylights and then reinstalled them after building the sloped ceiling I would not have had all this trouble. Thank you again. You're the man with the plan! Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Scott…thanks for the video. I learned something extra, how skylights behave in different situations...

Scott, I'm having this same issue and would like to view your video, but when I click the link it says "Invalid thread." Could you either re-post the video or just explain here how to make a hole in a ceiling plane?

Thank you!!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Can't view it either. Can't find on YouTube either.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Here is a new one, I think this is what you needed.

http://youtu.be/vnNcZjykjXc
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Thanks, Scott! I love to hear your stream-of-consciousness in your videos. :-)

I figured out the answer to my specific question by watching what you were doing. I'm trying to use a ceiling plane to cover up weird ugly stuff in the ceiling. But I couldn't figure out how to get holes in the ceiling plane for the skylights. By watching you, I figured out that I need to put the ceiling plane in place FIRST, then add the skylights, and they will cut their own holes in the ceiling plane. Duh.

I don't think this is exactly perfect, but it looks better than it did before and that's all that counts in my line of work. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 living room ceiling.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	61204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 living room ceiling w ceiling plane.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	61205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 living room ceiling w skylight holes.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	61206  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"