Source of Additional Elevation Lines

I know this has been covered, and perhaps many times, but I keep running into this and keep ignoring it, so I can get some work done, but I would like to know the source of the additional lines that divide walls and floors 'sometimes' in an elevation view. Once it happens there seems to be no cure but I don't what happened to make it happen so I can avoid doing it again.

And once it happens how to 'fix' it.

Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELEVATION LINES.PNG 
Views:	173 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	61194

Here's a plan

ELEVATION LINES.zip
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

I just deleted and re-drew the walls. May never know where those lines come from.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

But then I re-opened the file and the line is back. This has always been a problem I could never solve and it's still got me by the short hairs.

Front is even worse.

Name:	ELEVATION LINES 2.PNG 
Views:	139 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	61196

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I find you get a line when walls are not exactly the same. Yours look the same but are they? Are they aligned with the bottom wall. I sure you probably checked that.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Yeah Perry, I've checked so many things I've lost count be they were always in line. Will probably never know the actual cause but rebuilding seemed to work. Will rebuild the front wall(s) as well as I can't seem to figure those extra lines out either.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Larry, I took a look at it and I could not unwind what you have done. Bottom line, most of my rooms use the default floor and ceiling elevations, yours don't. That might be part of the problem.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thanks for taking the time Scott. I did end up changing all the floors to their defaults among another hour's worth of messing and couldn't unwind it either. Am now redrawing the front walls to see if I can clean those up.

The main reason for the post was to try and understand the real cause of what I find a fairly constant occurrence. User error for sure and I can always fix by re-building but would love to understand the phenom.

I think your advice about default floors is probably the best though. I'll double check that when beginning another plan.

This plan also has that orphaned interior wall that we tried to get to extend to the ceiling and perhaps when messing with that I changed something that caused the havoc.

Again thanks so much for taking the time.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

OK I think this is bizarre.

I'm rebuilding the front wall and manged to get the lines cleaned up. There were some orphaned attic walls and other stuff I have no idea from whence they came but I finally got all the lines to go away.

Now I am placing the windows in the front wall and I have an arched window above a trio of windows, as in this picture.

Name:	ELEVATION LINES 3.PNG 
Views:	108 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	61198

The arched window is not quite in the correct spot so I move it to right a little and that horizontal line appears between floors. Really? Can't move the window without that line appearing. I'll keep trying.

Name:	ELEVATION LINES 4.PNG 
Views:	105 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	61197

BUT if I move the right window to the right the line disappears but the framing shows between the windows.

Name:	ELEVATION LINES 5.PNG 
Views:	104 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	61200

If I then enlarge the window to hide the framing the horizontal line re-appears.

Name:	ELEVATION LINES 6.PNG 
Views:	109 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	61199

If I change the window width from 18" to 17 7/8" the line disappears. If I change it back to 18" it re-appears. If I change it again to 17 7/8 and then back it disappears - from changing the window width - really?

I add the garage doors. I show the casing the line appears. I suppress the casing the line disappears.

Finally through all kinds of gyrations it looks OK to send to Layout.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Call Tech support and bend Nigel's ear. Make those folks earn your money!!-BB

If it's any consolation, those lines happen to me quite frequently and I can never remember what I did to eliminate them. Probably some wall setting or wall alignment issue but sure is irritating. Typically, I just edit them out in layout.-
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Larry:

I did a little poking around in your plan. I can't say that I understand why Chief puts some of those lines in vector elevation views but they show up regardless. I did notice a few things in your plan:

1. That wall near the chimney that shows framing - you just need to drag the 2nd story wall out to match the depth of the one on the main floor.

2. The right window in your group of three is a tad lower than the other two.

3. The little bumpout wall to the right side of the garage doors is 25" wide on the 1st floor and 26" wide on the 2nd floor.

I "think" I found one other wall that was out of alignment with the "other" (?) floor but can't remember which one it was.

Regarding the arched window above the three - I think I would make it a little taller so there are short vertical sides to the window as opposed to coming to a point. When I took an interior camera view, those pointed casing ends stick out way past the group of three below.

Name:	WindowCentered-MoveBathWall.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	61209

Can I assume that you are going to center those windows on the roof ridge? If so, then another thought is to move the bathroom wall over (into the bathroom space) to give a little more clearance to the window and trim against that wall. Just an idea ... maybe you can't move that wall ... if so, then I still like the idea of giving the arched window a little more height so it has vertical sides as opposed to a point ... otherwise you'll need to monkey around with the arched window's size to get the points of the casing to match the outside edges of the lower windows ( ... that is what I'd try to do).

One thing that I did do that turned out weird ... I blocked the 3 windows and then I could see through to the framing. Not sure what is going on there.

Regarding the lines, I would just edit those out (in layout) when you have finished all else and your views to layout have all be sent and all your cleanup work is done. I do this as needed to make sure the elevations look clean.

Name:	WindowCentered-OSView.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	61208

Edit: I too was seeing that line to the right of the window group but I did get it to go away by hitting F12.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks for taking the time Curtis. Really appreciate it.

This is an 'as built' subdivision house and I really didn't want the design to be perfect but was more interested in the horizontal lines between floors that continually show up for various reasons. I was surprised to see them show up and then disappear while simply moving windows around - even the poorly shaped ones

I ended up rebuilding the exterior walls and replacing the windows, aligning all walls etc. and if I caught the process just right I would end up with no lines.

I don't think I've ever really done any editing in Layout, but I'll start now with your advice.

Thanks again.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I have also noticed that an attic wall will sometimes show a line, just because its marked attic wall. I then use balloon frame, and the line goes away, but not every time
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I gave up trying to resolve/fight with Chief's idiosyncrasies years ago. I just delete the unwanted lines using "edit layout" once it is on my layout page.
    X2, X3, X4 & X5 Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHZ Quad Core
    ASUS GeForce GTX 680 Video Card
    16GB Hyper X (2x8GB)
    Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD with WD Blue 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by father View Post
    I gave up trying to resolve/fight with Chief's idiosyncrasies years ago. I just delete the unwanted lines using "edit layout" once it is on my layout page.
    That's actually been my attitude as well. Sometimes I just post out of curiosity, thinking I'm missing something, but usually don't really care and just go on about my business 'fixing' issues by the most expedient manner available.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Larry,

To this day I'm astounded that Chief hasn't put images of People back in the Library for X4 and X5. Even more astounded that we still can't send colour/scaled elevations to layout pages, yet I can cast the shadow of every leaf of a tree on a house at any time of the day. So many bells and whistle's yet some very very basic things still not dealt with. Standard soffits like they are actually built is another one. I gave up trying to get things improved on years ago but continue to use it daily, just without stressing myself out about anymore.

I don't use it often but find this forum very useful. So many others have already gone through similar problems and came up with a solution. They are usually very quick to respond too.
    X2, X3, X4 & X5 Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHZ Quad Core
    ASUS GeForce GTX 680 Video Card
    16GB Hyper X (2x8GB)
    Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD with WD Blue 1TB