There HASP to be a way!

It's been a very long time since I visited this site, but I have a problem that I cannot resolve. I have an old version of CA (Version 10 Full) and I have the HASP hardware lock that came with it that I have been using to run CA10. I was running it on Windows Vista Home Premium, then Windows 7 without a problem. I hadn't used it often as home design work has really dropped off over the past few years & I'm aging a bit (71), but it was working well about a month ago.

Unfortunately, my computer (Gateway) died last week & I just replaced it with a HP Pavilion 500-054 64bit with Windows 8.1 OS. I cannot get it to run despite being told that W8.1 is downward compatible with W7/Vista and would work with CA. When attempting to run CA10 it states that I need permission from an "Administrator" to run CA, plus no hardware lock can be found even though I have the HASP plugged into a 2.0 USB port (also tried a 3.0 USB port unsuccessfully). I searched CA for help & went to the link suggested (Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Runtime Installer) & downloaded it. I also downloaded Sentinel System Driver Installer 7.5.8 (guessing at this point) and in each case restarted the computer. I'm not at all confident that I'm on the right path with these two downloads as neither works. As for the "Administrator" problem I accidently discovered that if I right click to start CA it will run.... except that now there is still a hardware lock problem.

So, can anyone shed some light on how I can get CA to work again? I cannot justify upgrading as the work simply isn't there to pay for it, plus at my age I just want it working normally. If I can help someone out with a design, that would be satisfying to me.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Al
    Al

As I age I find I'm losing my memory... and that is a load off my mind!
    CA 10.08a
    Previous User of V5.0, 6.0 & 9.54 ... I think?

You will need to download and install the proper software drivers for the dongle, there are links on the Chief Architect Inc Website, downloads page to get you started.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thanks for your response David.
    Actually, I had already downloaded this software driver (Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time Installer) and Sentinel Runtime from SafeNet Inc. following the site you recommended. I followed this by restarting the computer. Still cannot run CA10.

There was a message stated near the end of the download that read: "The Sentinel HASP Run-time Environment uses port 1947 to communicate with local and remote components. If you use a firewall, ensure that it does not block this port." When checking the Control Panel, under Administrative Tools, there is a line item noted as "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". I opened this and found no reference to a port 1947. Please keep in mind that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this type of trouble shooting, so I don't know if the download message even applies to this firewall???

Any additional suggestions?

Thank you for your help.
    Al

CA 10.08a

I reinstall my OS every once in a great moon. I have never had to install a hasp driver. I do have to set firewall to block the hasps from connecting to the internet (excessive). All my hasps work fine going back to v10. Don't know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdesign View Post
    I reinstall my OS every once in a great moon (still XP Pro). I have never had to install a hasp driver. I do have to set firewall to block the hasps from connecting to the internet (excessive). All my hasps work fine going back to v10. Don't know what that means.
    I'm afraid I don't know how to set the firewall to prevent it from blocking the port 1947 as noted above in the download message. How does one do that? Perhaps this is my way to getting CA10 back up & running.....I hope!
    Al

CA 10.08a

I'm afraid I don't know how to set the firewall to prevent it from blocking the port 1947 as noted above in the download message. How does one do that?
    I have no idea. I disable windows firewall and run a third party firewall.

I know little about firewalls other than whether they are on or off. I have Versions 7, 9.5, 10, 11 and 12 installed within my windows XP x32 hard drive and I also have versions 9.5, 10, 11, 12, 13 14 and 15 installed within Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with no problems (the older versions run better within XP than Windows 7 generally).
    I have never had to set port numbers to get older versions to work, just the proper drivers.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thanks David &Spencer for your attempts to help.

Having lost all hopes of me finding a solution, after downloading various SafeNet Sentinel Protection Installers, including 7.6.1 (I was close with this one I think), I decided to bring my PC to the Geek Squad since I have a support contract with them. After a couple days, they found a patch: Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.6 which worked. I'm back in business in terms of being able to run CA 10(Full) on W8.1. I did lose over a hundred house designs that is severe in itself, but at least I can still use CA.
    Al

CA 10.08a