TonyM is offline Registered User Promoted

Old versions! ie. v1

Hi everyone,

Just out of curiosity, and I know this is a tough call, but does anyone still have v1 of Chief and if so, what did it run on and are there any videos (ya, right!) floating out there of it's use?

I was introduced to Chief at v9 and am a happy owner and user of X5. I was just thinking about how far CA has come over the last 20 years and became a little curious to how it all began.

Enjoying the Fall of the PNW!

Tony

My first version was 4 and it ran on Windows 3.1, then we upgraded to Windows 95 shortly thereafter. I have no idea about Version 1.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I used part of the family tree in 3D Home Architect Deluxe v1.2/1.5. Still have some plans roaming around on tape/CDs somewhere. It was Win 3.1, 95, XP 32. It was part of the Beta test for Win95 and MS BOB.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    Seems like I started with V2, but it may have been V1. I saved all of my earlier software boxes I believe.

The early versions prior to, I think it was V3 did not have roof planes. That meant that there was a need to use other 3D software to create the models with roofs if that was what you wanted. I used FastCAD 3D at the time for my other modeling needs.

Symbols were not an option at that time either.

One of the things that I remember most was that either I did not have a scroll wheel, or they were not available at that time. Which meant that every time you needed to zoom required clicking the parent zoom icon in order to access the desired zoom tool. Also zooming in close did not work well at all.

Yes, things have came a long way since then. I seems to me that the early versions were not copy protected either. Not an issue for me, since I had the license, but just another bit of info.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

I started in a beta version of v2, which came on a floppy, which I can guarantee I no longer have
    Along with no roofs I think it did no exteriors and had (almost?) no CAD. I think it could only elevate one wall at a time. I vaguely remember using cabinets to represent decks as there were no deck tools or CAD tools.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    My first version was 4 and it ran on Windows 3.1, then we upgraded to Windows 95 shortly thereafter. I have no idea about Version 1.

DJP
    Same as David but I'd bought the 3D Home Architect it worked great but had limitations. I then turned to version 4.0. Have been on Chief ever since. There are still a number of frustrating things about Chief and ConDocs that they seem to ignore with every new version. Some people have suggested that Chief have an architect on staff. It would be great to have an Architect or experienced Builder with knowledge of ConDocs.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ravenscroft View Post
    Same as David but I'd bought the 3D Home Architect it worked great but had limitations. I then turned to version 4.0. Have been on Chief ever since. There are still a number of frustrating things about Chief and ConDocs that they seem to ignore with every new version. Some people have suggested that Chief have an architect on staff. It would be great to have an Architect or experienced Builder with knowledge of ConDocs.
    Ron,

I don't think that is the problem. After using CA for almost 17 years full time I realize it's not that they don't have the people with the background to make the program exceptional at producing construction documents, it is that they choose not to. It is geared for visualization not quick generation of con docs. It certainly will produce a quick set of plans as I have been using the program for the entire 17 years but getting the program to be more efficient with schedules, cross sections etc. just isn't in the cards. It used to frustrate the heck out of me as well but about 7 years ago I finally realized my frustration with them adding things like "model makers" while ignoring......."insert your version of shadow boards, completely workable schedules, better cross sections etc."...........was completely off base. It is not that they can't it is they choose not to..........

So on my part, no more frustration...it is what it is. A great program for quick visualization of a model and production of a set of con docs..
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just out of curiosity, and I know this is a tough call, but does anyone still have v1 of Chief and if so, what did it run on...
    I purchased this set in 1997 and was using Win.95 at that time. I think about installing and having a play, but have not taken the time.

I think this version predates v.1?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ha.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	61210  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

My recollection is that the first Broderbund version was based off of Version 3 of Chief.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    My recollection is that the first Broderbund version was based off of Version 3 of Chief.
    Since this interesting topic comes up from time to time, I filtered through some old threads and added a new summary in the Chatroom here:
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....660#post486660

It says invalid thread
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    It says invalid thread
    It worked for me.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Ok now its working for me, not sure what happened, thanks
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor