wayn is offline Registered User Promoted

trying to set up a new X5 system on a VERY tight budget...

Hello All!

I'm trying to get back into home/commercial bldg design - as a part-time gig - and would like to update my tired, old Chief 10 to this millenium, so I'm looking to upgrade to X5 and install on my existing Gateway GM5442 for the time being.

system as is:

intel Core2 4400 @ 2.00GHz, 3MB RAM, 32-bit, 450GB hard drive, intel 82945G Express on-board graphics running Windows Vista Premium

If I were to upgrade the operating system to W7 or W8 would I even have a hope of having X5 run even remotely well, or should I just byte the bullet and upgrade?

AND, if I upgrade - and I know I've just opened the world's largest can of worms - what are reliably good specs to run on?

Preferably both laptop specs and desktop specs... and I'd like to stay under $1500 for the hardware costs.

Thanks!
    Wayn Goodman

Not sure about your video card, could be a problem.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

For the most part your old system is marginally OK for X5. In general you should find that X5 is faster on that system than version 10 was. I assume you meant 3GB of RAM. The video is a bit of a question. I'm not sure how well it will work.

If you want a good Laptop, look for one with my specs. Similar for Desktop.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

You don't HAVE to spend a fortune on a system that will run X5/6. Here's a quick list of some pretty good components that should run X5/6 fine if not really well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUDGET SYSTEM.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	61154
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

briem is offline Registered User Promoted
    See post from yesterday about X5 for sale for $500. Should help with the hardware budget.
    Bob Riemenschneider
    Riemco Building Co.
    Chelsea, Mi
    ASUS G74SX Laptop, 12GB Ram, NVidea GTX560M with 3GB, Windows 7 Premium
    Chief Architect ver.8 - X6 Beta Premium
    www.riemco.com

Quote Originally Posted by briem View Post
    See post from yesterday about X5 for sale for $500. Should help with the hardware budget.
    Briem,

Sorry, but since I'm away from my computer for the weekend I'm using my phone to reply - and am having a heckuva time finding stuff w/search function...

Can you help me by forwarding a link to the post you mentioned?

Thanks!

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Thanks to all who've responded - fired off an email to the owner of above s/w, working on decision to either buy a ready-built graphics box or build my own from the specs I've seen. Either way, I'm excited to get into this decade's market for both s/w and h/w.

Again, thanks - I'll update as things progress.
    Wayn Goodman

drat... missed out on the $500 X5 opportunity - but I'm still working on moving forward! will keep those interested enough to read this posted as things progress.

In the meantime, since I'm already in a 10-hour-a-day non-design day-job, if any of y'all see any more super X5 deals, please feel free to post links on this thread?!? Thanks!
    Wayn Goodman

The laptop in my signature is about 2 years old and runs X5 quite well. New it was around $1,300.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Wow. From the threads I've read it seemed like you could never overkill on a CA X5/X6 system. Now I am beginning to wonder. I have spent hours of online research trying to put a computer together to build. I got a tower for half price brand new on Ebay, looking at Intel i7 4930K processor, NVidia GTX770, (2) 23" monitors, etc. just hoping to be able to hang and not deal with having to build again for a few years at least. Am I going overboard?

Wayn:

I had Puget Systems build my computer in 2011 and have been very pleased with it. Very quiet and runs X5 very well. If I were to purchase new today, I would go with 16 GB of RAM, a 256 GB SSD and probably a video card with more speed. Puget Systems uses only the best components and run each build through a gamut of tests for performance, heat build-up, etc. And you can monitor all that work as it is being done at their facility. If you call them, ask for William George or Wilson Chau ... and tell them I sent you their way. If you like PS and choose to purchase a computer from them, they will help me out on the cost of my next upgrade. They may still have a December special running so make sure you ask about that.

By the way, PS has lots of good technical information on their website about computers, components and all sorts of tech stuff that you may find helpful with your decision. Go to Resources on their menu bar and click on Hardware Articles or Forums.

www.pugetsystems.com
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

It really comes down to the type of work your are doing. If you never touch the Raytrace button or never kick off renders with the Watercolor feature then a minimal running system will work well in most cases. I hit the Watercolor button a lot so I beefed up my system a little when buying last year. For me, waiting an extra 30-60 seconds for a view to render in Watercolor is worth spending an extra $700 on my system. If I knew the system could kick off a Watercolor in 5 secs I would spend triple that.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."