How To Extend Orphaned Wall to Open Ceiling?

Not sure exactly how to phrase the question but I've attached a plan file. I have a wall centrally located in an open ceiling that extends to the ceiling. When the upper room is spec'd as Open Below the wall stops at the first floor height - see plan.

I can get the wall to extend up to the ceiling by adding another wall on the second floor but I was wondering if the wall from the first floor will extend to the ceiling without a second floor wall.

Here's the first floor wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rake wall 2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	61148

...and the added second floor. I was able to get the space filled with some setting but not this time. Pretty easy I'm thinking but can't get it done without a work around or 'shaping' each wall to extend to the ceiling.

Name:	rake wall 3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	61147

rake wall 1.zip
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Caught me by surprise. One solution is to go upstairs and make one of the walls non room def and then the orphaned walls will pop up. I think the best solution is what you already stated, copy orphaned walls to second floor.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Larry,

I simply extended the walls to the adjacent walls and made them "No Room Def".
    Then I added full height openings without casings.

I then duplicated that on the second floor.

The 1st floor walls I set as Balloon Thru Ceiling & Go Thru Floor Platform.

Note, if you want baseboards on the 1st Floor - just un-check "No Room Def".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Larry's Walls.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	61149  
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

That's pretty creative Joe. My brain would not have gone there, thanks for adding that idea to my tool box.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Larry,

I simply extended the walls to the adjacent walls and made them "No Room Def".
    Then I added full height openings without casings.

I then duplicated that on the second floor.

The 1st floor walls I set as Balloon Thru Ceiling & Go Thru Floor Platform.

Note, if you want baseboards on the 1st Floor - just un-check "No Room Def".
    Joe, I think if you check it out, when you select GO THRU FLOOR PLATFORM, that is actually telling the wall to extend DOWN thru the floor it is sitting on, not UP thru the floor above.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Joe, I think if you check it out, when you select GO THRU FLOOR PLATFORM, that is actually telling the wall to extend DOWN thru the floor it is sitting on, not UP thru the floor above.
    OK, so maybe the only thing needed other than the "Openings" is Balloon Thru Ceiling.

IAE, using full height openings without casings is IMO the way to go.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    OK, so maybe the only thing needed other than the "Openings" is Balloon Thru Ceiling.

IAE, using full height openings without casings is IMO the way to go.
    I think it is easier to copy the first floor wall to the second floor, that way you do not need to deal with the openings. Another advantage is the wall will now show in plan view on the second floor plan.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Whatever.....

But I think the 2D and 3D views look better when you use openings rather than just ending the walls.
    I used to just stop walls but there were so many problems with finishes, etc. that I've made it a general practice to use openings and/or pass-thru windows whenever I can.
    Windows 8.1

Ok, how would they build it in real life---Balloon frame and maybe 2x6 studs depending on the height.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

This method might be my favorite so far. Create an island room with invisible walls then define the ceiling height of that new room to be high enough to reach the ceiling. Can't see the walls on the second floor, but the end wall finishes look good. What's the down side?

Name:	rake wall 4.PNG 
Views:	117 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	61152

rake wall 1.zip

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic