Help selecting a bunch of items at once

I draw room additions, so I always have new and existing - when I draw a framing plan I like to put the new and existin framing on seperate layer, which involves lots of selcting. My shif tselect tool seems to max out after 5 or 10 items, dropping the entire selection set in favor of the most recent addition.
    Group selecting picks up walls and stuff that I don't want to select.
    Any thoughts on a great way to achieve this desired end result?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Lock the Layers of the items you don't want to select - then use Group Select.

Personally I'd create a custom Layerset to have this available at a single mouse click.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I also do a lot of room additions. I use different wall types / layers for the different (new/ existing) walls so all you have to do is turn off those walls in whatever camera view you use, If I understand what you are asking
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Another option is select the tool that has the items you want to be selecting. That will limit Group Selection to just those items.

"Select Same" is another way.

Note that either of these options only work with certain items.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Thanks guys, I think both the first two suggestions will be perfect - I'll just take the time to build some more layersets.
    P, I never thought to put new and existing walls on separate layers, just using different wall definitions, don't know why, I put framing on separate new\existing layers....
    I'l need to think through my process, but some new layer and annosets are probably in order.
    Select same is OK, sometimes, thanks for the reminder.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Matt remember that new and existing walls can't occupy the same space even though they are on separate layers! Would love for this to change soon hint hint X6?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

L, I'
    m not sure that will be an issue - I draw an existing plan with all the walls in wall defs labeled existing. I have existing plan layerset for a view to CAD that I then paste into the background on a normally locked layer. Then I save the plan labeled as new, demo walls I want gone and draw new walls. The CAD shows as a dashed\screened line, existing walls have no fill, new walls are poched. With P's suggestion I can just put all the new walls on a new walls layer as well as defining their wall def with a new label.
    What's your agenda with the new walls in the same location as existing?
    When I have an existing wall getting a small repair such as a window fill, I draw aCAD box. When an existing wall is being significantly restructured I redefine to an exiting to new labeled wall def with a differnet fill.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Matt remember that new and existing walls can't occupy the same space even though they are on separate layers! Would love for this to change soon hint hint X6?
    Yes they can if you make 1 wall a "no room def" wall.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor