Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Pretty simple.

Right click on the DropBox icon in the notification tray.
    Click on the little gear top right.
    Click on Preferences.
    Click on Account.
    Click on Unlink this Computer.

Done

You can delete all the files, and DB won't delete them anywhere else.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Yes, but does it delete them once you turn it back on?
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Sweet Dave. Good question Scott.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    If I had to guess, it would probably populate the computer that was newly linked. Thanks Dave,
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Good question too. Seems like it would - guess you better get them on another computer before turning synch back on.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    If I had to guess, it would probably populate the computer that was newly linked.
    That is exactly what would happen.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

mehen is offline Registered User Promoted
    The unlink gadget works really well. I gave my mac to a college student and simply unlinked the computer and all of the files were gone like they never existed. The slick thing about DB is that when I got my new computer, I turned it on, downloaded the Dropbox App, enter user info & password and Shazam ! All of my files were back on the new computer.
    Mark Henson
    GinkgoHouse Architecture, LLC
    X5.2.1.3x64

What if you have no internet connection? You won't have any files either I guess
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Wow you guys are really opening up some possibilities I hadn't thought of - feels good to be part of the 21st century.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

mehen is offline Registered User Promoted
    The files will be on your hard drive in the Dropbox folder. The entire file not a link to a cloud version. Occasionally I will take my computer to the park to work and I will make sure the "green arrow" is showing then leave the house, go work, update the file and come back home. When I turn on the computer DB will automatically see that a file was modified and update it to all of the linked computers and in the cloud.
    Mark Henson
    GinkgoHouse Architecture, LLC
    X5.2.1.3x64

Well, I just signed up on a new Google account for 100GB at $4.99/mo. We'll see how it goes. Reading up on it it sounds like it does pretty much everything Dropbox does.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    Well, I just signed up on a new Google account for 100GB at $4.99/mo. We'll see how it goes. Reading up on it it sounds like it does pretty much everything Dropbox does.
    For me, it doesn't work quite as well in regard to how the desktop program works. It often stops syncing, and when queried, says that it can't connect when there is no problem with the connection. After some searching, I find others have the same problem. Perhaps it is a product of my less than stellar internet connection, I don't know.

I don't have the same problem with Dropbox. Drive does have other elements that I like better than DB, especially on a mobile device.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Yeah, I am just going to see how it does. I am already quite familiar with Google Docs, so I figured that gave me a head start on the learning curve. I am just going to experiment and can back out if I feel it's not working for me. I do have a very good internet connection, so maybe that will help. But I am glad for this, and the other similar threads. It gave me the kickstart I needed.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Scott;

I just saw this thread, so if what I'm saying is redundant, my apologies - Your beginning assertion that drop box is not a folder on your hard drive, as you probably already know is in error, but to verify here's the way to check;

Click on "Computer" in your start folder, and then double click your main hard drive (usually MAIN (C: )). Go down to "Users" and double click, and then to [probably] your name "Scott", and double click. You will see a "Dropbox" file folder (right there on your main hard drive, in living color, just like all of the other file folders). If you double click it, you'll see all of the files you put there.

On your desktop, where the dropbox shortcut is, is just that, a shortcut as noted by the little blue arrow down in the bottom left corner, which means that that is a shortcut to a file that is on your hard drive, or any other drive for that matter. When you are on the desktop, you are actually in a folder that is called "Desktop", which has lots of other folders and shortcuts. By the way, you'll also see the "Desktop" folder in the same file location as your Dropbox folder.

Knowing how your computer uses files and folders, and how it manages them is pretty important if you ever need to hunt something down. If you have ten drives on your computer, and you want quick access to any file on any of them, for instance a plan file you're working on. just right click on the file and drag to your desktop, and then choose "create shortcut here", and you'll have desktop access to that file. Try this one for a project that you're working on a lot; open your dropbox folder, find the file, say the "SMITH JOB" - now right click on it and drag it to your desktop and then choose "create shortcuts here". Now, instead of having to find the file every time, you just double click the "shortcut" (SMITH JOB), and Chief will start up if it isn't already, and you have the smith job. any changes saved will save to the original [dropbox] folder, and when you close, it will be there. When you're done with the job, delete the shortcut, and there is no consequence to the actual file, and dropbox will do their job of synchronizing it to your other devices.

Hope this helps.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks Reed, I now get it, I was a bit slow on the uptake. A client came in yesterday, and he uses drop box, and he was more confused that I. So thanks to you guys, I was able to set him straight.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall