Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I was able to open some files that I guess were from drop box, however I could not save them back to drop box via the internet because I was offline. I could only save the edited file to my desktop.

But that is the problem, I have edited a file, saved it to my desktop, and I assume I can open the file back up on that particular desktop, but that is not what I want to do. I want to go to my office and now open the newly edited file, but I can't, because it has been saved on the desktop of my home computer.
    You're just making it too complicated.

If you are offline, and you work on those files in your DB folder, you just save them as normal. You do not save them to a new location (desktop). When you go back online, the DB program will sync all of those files to the latest version it finds.

If it makes you more comfortable thinking that the files.only live in the cloud, then great, who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwideziner View Post
    Scott
    Are you saying that with everything on DB your disk drive is empty??
    I currently cannot use a cloud server due to slow internet, but I believe from what I have read is the cloud servers act like any backup software in that they compare date stamps etc, and make a backup of the changed file in the cloud. then when you open that file on another computer it does a check with the cloud to see if there is a newer version. it then downloads the new version for you to use. so you have a copy on computer A, the cloud, and computer B. which if both computers are online will mean 3 copies of the same file.
    I may however be totally wrong.
    Yes, my hard drive is void of my files. They are all in drop box. I access all my files via drop box. Drop box is now my new 200 gig hard drive.

But i do not understand what happens if i open the same file on two different computers at the same time, have not tried it yet, it would probably be a mess.

I will do a vid in the morning.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

GETTING BACK TO THE O.P....... ;-)

I have been using Google Drive extensively for just about everything BUT Chief Files for a couple of years now, but may now explore using it for that too. I do like the idea of being able to access synced files from home or office. I do believe Google Drive has this feature, I was just a little nervous about actually activating it when I first installed it. To date, I have just been using a mirrored 2nd hard drive and Carbonite as a backup. Will let you know what comes of any experimenting I do. May be moving my office in the near future, so it might be a good time to give it a go.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Wait a minute.

Scott when you say you are saving files to DropBox just how are you doing that?

Are you saving them directly to the DropBox web site?
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Okay Fred, I have file ZZZ on computer A, on computert B, on computer C and on drop box. They are all identical at all four locations.

On monday I go to computer A, open the file ZZZ on computer A and I change the front window to an arched window.

On tuesday I go to computer B, open the file ZZZ on computer B and I change the front window to a round window

On Wednesday I go to computer C, open the file ZZZ that is in drop box, what do I see, a round window or an arched window?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    Wait a minute.

Scott when you say you are saving files to DropBox just how are you doing that?

Are you saving them directly to the DropBox web site?
    Yes, I am saving directly to the drop box folder, i mean the drop box web site.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

But i do not understand what happens if i open the same file on two different computers at the same time, have not tried it yet, it would probably be a mess.

I will do a vid in the morning.
    Very simple. The DB program will keep a copy of both, and annotate one of the file names with"conflicted copy".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post
    Very simple. The DB program will keep a copy of both, and annotate one of the file names with"conflicted copy".
    Simple? Sounds like SNAFU, or is that AFUAN...... what is that darn army acronym, ALL F@#$% UP AS NORMAL.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Simple? Sounds like SNAFU, or is that AFUAN...... what is that darn army acronym, ALL F@#$% UP AS NORMAL.
    It let's you decide which file.you want. Or you can keep both.

Interesting discussion and am learning stuff. When I loaded Google Drive for the first time it created a folder under 'My Favorites' called Google Drive, on my hard drive, that I can access from my office machine at any time. That's where I put all the files I want to be accessible and sharable from Google Drive on the Interwebs.

As soon as I put a file in that Google Drive folder, on my computer's hard drive, then Google Drive sees it and loads it into its 'cloud' servers and I can now see it on the web through Google Drive from any computer.

If I remove the files from that Google Drive folder - on my hard drive - those same files disappear from the 'cloud' and the Google servers no longer have a copy that can be accessed from the 'cloud' or any other computer.

So at least in this case, from what I'm seeing, there's a folder 'on my hard drive' that contains all my Google Drive files. If I were to delete those files from my machine Google could no longer find them to put them on the cloud.

I'm not sure how DB works but is it possible to 'unsync' your files in such a way that they ONLY live in the 'clowd' on the DB or Drive servers?

It seems like that's what Scott's talking about, getting your files on DB only and not on your hard drive. Can't see how that works but I'm willing to learn if it's possible.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    ................It seems like that's what Scott's talking about, getting your files on DB only and not on your hard drive. Can't see how that works but I'm willing to learn if it's possible.
    That is exactly what I am saying.

Here is the vid

http://youtu.be/XI9NGsj5fYE
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here's a comparison review if anyone's interested. BTW Google Drive comes with 15BG free storage which seems like a lot for free. Not trying to sell Drive to anyone but really am intersted in others' experience.

http://blog.backupify.com/2012/05/17...sync-services/
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

That is exactly what I am saying.

Here is the vid

http://youtu.be/XI9NGsj5fYE
    Scott, you're killing me. You are reminding me so much of myself when my brain gets stuck on an idea and nothing is going to get me to budge.

I'm watching your video and you don't realize it but when you go to 'favorites' and click on your Drop Box folder, that folder is ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! Favorites is on your hard drive! That's where the folders live on your hard drive, under Favorites and in the Drop Box folder - again, on your hard drive.

The files live on your hard drive AND on the cloud. your video makes everyone's case - not yours. Sorry bout that.

Here's a quick pick of my file manager, probably very much like yours? You can see the Drop Box folder and the Google Drive folder under Favorites. If this is how you're getting to your Drop Box files then you are getting them from your hard drive. you just moved them from your 'Plans' folder to your Drop Box folder - again - on your hard drive. It really is how these services work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop box.PNG 
Views:	338 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	61061

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I'm not sure how DB works but is it possible to 'unsync' your files in such a way that they ONLY live in the 'clowd' on the DB or Drive servers?
    At least with Google Drive, the simple answer would probably be to have more than one Google account, one that is sync-ed and one that isn't. I can tell you though, that you cannot be logged in to more than one Google account at a time (I current have one, and access to two others that are part of a non-profit I am on the board of). I do not have any files sync-ing with my Google account but could change that to sync, and add another if I wanted one I would only upload too.

You can also change permissions on each file individually for things you may want to share with clients, or keep ones that you want private.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Scott, you're killing me. You are reminding me so much of myself when my brain gets stuck on an idea and nothing is going to get me to budge.

I'm watching your video and you don't realize it but when you go to 'favorites' and click on your Drop Box folder, that folder is ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! Favorites is on your hard drive! That's where the folders live on your hard drive, under Favorites and in the Drop Box folder - again, on your hard drive.

The files live on your hard drive AND on the cloud. your video makes everyone's case - not yours. Sorry bout that.

Here's a quick pick of my file manager, probably very much like yours? You can see the Drop Box folder and the Google Drive folder under Favorites. If this is how you're getting to your Drop Box files then you are getting them from your hard drive. you just moved them from your 'Plans' folder to your Drop Box folder - again - on your hard drive. It really is how these services work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop box.PNG 
Views:	338 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	61061
    Wrong mon ami, they are not on my hard drive.

http://youtu.be/xHqa7GY8UTQ
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX