Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Goggle Drive Works Really Great For Sharing Chief Files

Just wanted to pass this along. I tried Drop Box and it never really worked that great - for me - and I know others have had pretty good luck but I just did some plan changes with a designer who also has Chief and we used Google Drive and he was able to view the plan changes in a couple minutes max. Very impressed and surprised at how easy and transparent. Highly recommended.

Anyone else use it?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

If Google Drive worked then any of the similar services ought to work pretty much the same. I cannot imagine how DropBox could not of worked unless the application failed to run.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

My failure with Drop Box was probably user error but I'm pretty good with technology and for some reason I had some problems, couldn't read files. files not uploaded quickly or correctly a couple of times and sorry didn't mean this thread to be a knock on Drop Box, just wanted to say hoe happy I was with Google Drive and maybe the thread should be more about how great ALL the cloud services are..
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

I am sure most of the cloud services are good. I started loading ALL of my files onto dropbox last Saturday, it is still going, about 100 megs. I can't believe I did not do this sooner. I open a file at the office, edit it, when I go home I can pull up the updated file on that computer.

I think this is truly how everybody will operate soon, once we get past the idea that we have to have the files on our computer.

The big plus is I think it would be very hard to lose the files. I am assuming that drop box (and most services) have their own backup in case something goes wrong at their end. Probably not a big deal to them if they lose my stuff, but I bet there are some pretty important clients of drop box who would be very upset if DB did not have some sort of back up system for their stuff.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    My failure with Drop Box was probably user error but I'm pretty good with technology and for some reason I had some problems, couldn't read files. files not uploaded quickly or correctly a couple of times and sorry didn't mean this thread to be a knock on Drop Box, just wanted to say hoe happy I was with Google Drive and maybe the thread should be more about how great ALL the cloud services are..
    I was just thinking that whatever tripped up DropBox might happen at some point and have the same effect on Google Drive. This isn't really cutting edge technology. It would be interesting to know what went wrong for you and why.

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I think this is truly how everybody will operate soon, once we get past the idea that we have to have the files on our computer.
    JFYI files you place in your DropBox folder tree are local files. The DropBox application has simply established a hook into the Windows OS which informs the DropBox application of changes in any file(s) in that folder(s) so they can be uploaded to the DropBox server and subsequently download to any other computers on that account.

Simple and reliable - at least it should be.

Anybody using Microsoft SkyDrive or Apple iCloud for... whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    JFYI files you place in your DropBox folder tree are local files. The DropBox application has simply established a hook into the Windows OS which informs the DropBox application of changes in any file(s) in that folder(s) so they can be uploaded to the DropBox server and subsequently download to any other computers on that account.

Simple and reliable - at least it should be.

Anybody using Microsoft SkyDrive or Apple iCloud for... whatever?
    What is the definition of local files?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

The DropBox folder and and child folders are normal Windows folders and any files therein are normal Windows files.

The DropBox application uses a standard Windows OS feature of being able to request the Windows OS to monitor those folders/files for changes and inform the requesting application (DropBox) of any such changes.

When needed DropBox uploads the changed files to the DropBox server(s).

It's the best of both worlds, local files for speed of access, copies of files in the cloud, automatic upload/download to/from the cloud to keep multiple computers in sync. Once setup there is really nothing to manage.

What is the definition of local files?
    Files located on your hardware.

I think Frederick was just commenting that you are still actually working on a local file which is then synced to DB.....just semantics. All of your machines linked to you DP account will have a 'local' copy, with the possible exception of a smart phone or tablet that usually just has the file names unless you choose to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post
    Files located on your hardware.

I think Frederick was just commenting that you are still actually working on a local file which is then synced to DB.....just semantics. All of your machines linked to you DP account will have a 'local' copy, with the possible exception of a smart phone or tablet that usually just has the file names unless you choose to download it.

I would of thought Fred could answer for himself. But if that is what he is saying which is why I asked the question, I believe that is incorrect. I am not working on files that are saved to my desk top, I am working on files that are saved on DropBox, in my mind a very big difference.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I would of thought Fred could answer for himself. But if that is what he is saying which is why I asked the question, I believe that is incorrect. I am not working on files that are saved to my desk top, I am working on files that are saved on DropBox, in my mind a very big difference.
    Well since he typed the same thing as I was typing, I guess we agree.

You can believe whatever you want...even if it is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post
    Well since he typed the same thing as I was typing, I guess we agree.

In your mind you can believe whatever you want...even if it is incorrect.
    I have been wrong so many times before, if I am wrong again, it will not surprise me. All I know is that I no longer have files on my computers, and if i want to edit a file, I must go to my drop box folder.

But I am sure you guys are correct, the file is really somewhere on my computer and not on drop box, I just access the file thru drop box.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Many folks believe the "DropBox" files are only located out in the cloud but that is not the case. Yes there is a copy of the file kept on the DropBox server(s) but it is just that, a copy of the most recently updated local file, uploaded to the DropBox server(s) from whatever computer you where using when you last worked on that file. The DropBox application insures that the local files on your computers are kept in sync. A file changed on Computer A gets uploaded to the server, then downloaded to Computers B,C,D etc as needed.

...if i want to edit a file, I must go to my drop box folder.
    That is correct but as I said the DropBox folder is a normal Windows folder and all the files therein are normal Windows files.

If you terminate the DropBox application you will see that the folder and files are still there and accessible. BUT they are no longer being monitored for changes and uploaded to the DropBox servers(s).

So you generally want to have the DropBox application running at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    Many folks believe the "DropBox" files are only located out in the cloud but that is not the case. Yes there is a copy of the file kept on the DropBox server(s) but it is just that, a copy of the most recently updated local file, uploaded to the DropBox server(s) from whatever computer you where using when you last worked on that file. The DropBox application insures that the local files on your computers are kept in sync. A file changed on Computer A gets uploaded to the server, then downloaded to Computers B,C,D etc as needed.
    Where on my computer would I find the file? I did not save it to a folder. Try this, open a new plan, draw four walls and save it to the drop box folder. Shut the computer down, restart the computer, I would venture to guess that the only place you will find that file is in the drop box folder.

If you do this test and find the file anywhere else than in the drop box folder, please let me know and I will fall onto my magical sword and swear my allegiance to you for the rest of my life....... or at least until tomorrow morning.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX