Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Scott, you're killing me. You are reminding me so much of myself when my brain gets stuck on an idea and nothing is going to get me to budge.

I'm watching your video and you don't realize it but when you go to 'favorites' and click on your Drop Box folder, that folder is ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! Favorites is on your hard drive! That's where the folders live on your hard drive, under Favorites and in the Drop Box folder - again, on your hard drive.

The files live on your hard drive AND on the cloud. your video makes everyone's case - not yours. Sorry bout that.

Here's a quick pick of my file manager, probably very much like yours? You can see the Drop Box folder and the Google Drive folder under Favorites. If this is how you're getting to your Drop Box files then you are getting them from your hard drive. you just moved them from your 'Plans' folder to your Drop Box folder - again - on your hard drive. It really is how these services work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop box.PNG 
Views:	344 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	61061
    Wrong mon ami, they are not on my hard drive.

http://youtu.be/xHqa7GY8UTQ
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

WAIT, said the blind man, I understand what you have been drilling in my little head. You say it is on my hard drive, it is taking up space on my hard drive, I think you are saying if somebody steals all 6 devices that I have dropbox on, I am SOL.

So if somebody steals 5 of my devices, at least I have one device in my possession which is acting like a back up for my files. As long as I have my device password protected, if somebody steals my devices, they will not be able to remove my files.

I think I get it now, sorry for being so pigheaded.

Boy, do I feel like a nimrod.

Thanks guys.

One final thought, since I have dropbox on my IPHONE, and you guys say that the files reside on the devices, does that mean I just put 60 gig of files on my IPHONE?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post

So if somebody steals 5 of my devices, at least I have one device in my possession which is acting like a back up for my files. As long as I have my device password protected, if somebody steals my devices, they will not be able to remove my files.

One final thought, since I have dropbox on my IPHONE, and you guys say that the files reside on the devices, does that mean I just put 60 gig of files on my IPHONE?
    Don't forget the copy of the file out on the DropBox server. Assuming the person who stole all of your computers doesn't delete your DropBox account or the files on the DropBox server you can retrieve those copies (do it as soon as you notice your computers have been stolen).

As far a mobile devices I cannot give you an answer since I haven't used DropBox on one. I will research that.

BUT if I were coding such an application like DropBox, for mobile devices, I would deal with the potentially very limited space on a mobile device by keeping on the mobile device "pseudo-files" which would automatically download the actual file when you tried to open the "pseudo-file". You wouldn't notice the difference except for the slowness of opening the file. I might chose to try and optimize the performance by keeping small files (have to define "small" first) on the mobile device and using the "pseudo-file" approach for "not-small" files.

JOOC are there any mobile apps for viewing/editing CA files???
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    Don't forget the copy of the file out on the DropBox server..........?
    Ahhhhhhh, so dropbox also has a copy of the files. So if all 6 devices are stolen, there is still a copy on the dropbox server that I could access via a brand new device. This would explain why they charge for the amount of storage, because they too are using their space to store my files.

Thanks Fred, Dave, Steve et al, I truly appreciate your patience with me, I think I get it now.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX