Hybrid View

If I create a file and save it in the DropBox folder I most certainly CAN (and WILL) find that file on my computer.

It will be in the DropBox folder where I put it.

The DropBox application will COPY that file out to the DropBox server but it will leave the "original" on my computer in the DropBox folder.

The only time the DropBox application will alter that local file is when it detects that the copy of that file, out on the DropBox server, is newer then the file on my computer. Then the DropBox application will download the newer file from the DropBox server and overwrite the out-of-date local file with the newer one from the server.

If I have two computers (A and B) (both connected to the internet) using the same DropBox account and I create ONE file on Computer A, in a short time I will have THREE instances of that file. The original on Computer A, the copy on the DropBox server and a copy on computer B. The files on Computers A and B are plain old local Windows files. The copy out "in the cloud" is a plain old file on the DropBox server. I do not know what OS is used on DropBox servers - perhaps Linux.

I really do not understand why you doubt what I am saying. As a retired computer programmer with some 35+ years experience and working also as a sysadmin for most of the years I really do know how this stuff works. Really. I'm not pulling your leg. This is the way DropBox works. Cross my heart. Really. Truly. Honest.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Okay Fred, I have file ZZZ on computer A, on computert B, on computer C and on drop box. They are all identical at all four locations.

On monday I go to computer A, open the file ZZZ on computer A and I change the front window to an arched window.

On tuesday I go to computer B, open the file ZZZ on computer B and I change the front window to a round window

On Wednesday I go to computer C, open the file ZZZ that is in drop box, what do I see, a round window or an arched window?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Okay Fred, I have file ZZZ on computer A, on computert B, on computer C and on drop box. They are all identical at all four locations.

On monday I go to computer A, open the file ZZZ on computer A and I change the front window to an arched window.

On tuesday I go to computer B, open the file ZZZ on computer B and I change the front window to a round window

On Wednesday I go to computer C, open the file ZZZ that is in drop box, what do I see, a round window or an arched window?
    Assuming that all of the files are in a DropBox folder on the respective computers:

On Tuesday you would have opened the file on Computer B and seen the changes you made on Monday.

On Wednesday you would have opened the file on Computer C and seen the changes you made on Tuesday.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)