Roof truss build bottom chord across wall plate

It was as I thought. Now that I am set up with Chief in my new (and I hope temporary) abode, I built a 4-wall shell, roofed it, raised the roof a foot, then drew a truss, no energy heel checked.

The truss draws without its bottom chord reaching out, as seen on the R side of this pic.

I edited the L side. The chord reaches out. Case closed. You gotta edit to get what you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-02_1514.png 
Views:	481 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	60923  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Not necessarily Gene. You raised it too much for the cantilevered eave to work. I bet if you took a 3D view of what you drew, the bottom chord of that truss sticks out below the soffit. You'd be causing your fascia/soffit contractor some headaches in real life as well!

I did a bit of trial and error with a similar scenario as you, and I found that as soon as you raise the roof planes enough that the bottom chord of the truss is lower than the bottom of the sub-fascia, Chief automatically changes the truss to an energy heel. Pretty smart of them I think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 10.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	60941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 11.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	60942
    Levis Lavoie
    Owner / Architectural Tech
    www.design3drafting.ca

X6 Beta 3
    User since X1
    Apple 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro