additing a second floor on a garage seperate from the house

Hi All,

I have house that I have modeled and am now working on the detached garage. I would like to add a 2nd floor to the garage but I already have a second floor on the house and when I go to add floor I it wants to add a 3rd floor to the house. Any way to just add a floor to the garage? Thank you in advance

Model the Garage in another Plan File, and use a symbol version of the garage in the House plan file.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Can I still get into the garage and edit it after I do that. I'm new to the software how would I make the garage a symbol? Thanks for the quick response Dave. Will te symbol display the floor plans or just the exterior foot print?

Draw the second floor for the garage on level 2 (the same level as the house) and manually adjust the room heights/floor settings etc by opening the room specifications of the garage/new room.
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

I suggest you model both in same plan. You do not have to add floor to garage, it is already there. Just draw the walls on level 2 for garage second floor.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

If you develop the garage in it's own plan file, you won't run into the issues like the 2nd floor thing. It is possible to have them both in the same file as Scott suggests, but anything "auto built" in one building will extend to all the buildings in that file. This can become a real problem for new users.

A symbol is a 3d representation of the model. you use it to show both the footprint, and a 3d representation in camera views. If you modify the exterior of the garage after you have made a symbol of it, it would have to be made into a symbol again to be a true representation. Converting a building into a symbol is quick and easy.

For construction document floor plans, it is no problem to send the floor plan from 2 (or more) plan files to a common layout page.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I suggest you model both in same plan. You do not have to add floor to garage, it is already there. Just draw the walls on level 2 for garage second floor.
    +1 Yeah - do it all the time. If the garage is huge or very very unique in some way perhaps you need another plan but usually just draw the second floor walls as Scott suggests.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    If you develop the garage in it's own plan file, you won't run into the issues like the 2nd floor thing.
    Dave, I don't think there IS 'an issue like the second floor thing.' It's just a second floor that's already there. Just draw your second floor garage walls and it behaves like any other part of the plan. I think the OP was thinking that since he's adding a floor to the garage as well as the house he needed to add ANOTHER floor. It's makes sense in the field or during conversation, "Hey let's add another floor to the garage," but to Chief it's already there.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Dave, I don't think there IS 'an issue like the second floor thing.' It's just a second floor that's already there. Just draw your second floor garage walls and it behaves like any other part of the plan. I think the OP was thinking that since he's adding a floor to the garage as well as the house he needed to add ANOTHER floor. It's makes sense in the field or during conversation, "Hey let's add another floor to the garage," but to Chief it's already there.
    Larry, I get that, and I agree, it is fine to draw it all in the same plan file. But, remember what it was like getting started with the program. If anything is different about floor heights, or ceiling heights, for example, then he is going to need to get up to speed quite quickly with his structure dialogs. Not always that easy. If most things are the same from the house to the garage, then being detached won't matter much.

My suggestion was meant to allow him to get his floaties on before he jumps in the deep end.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Yeah great explanation Dave. I would have given anything to have some CA floaties to start off with. That deep end was indeed pretty deep when I first started.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I would draw it in one plan unless the garage is too far from "0", then weird things could happen.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Thanks guys- I really appreciate the input and for giving a guy some floaties. I have drawn it in both its own plan and in my original plan with the house. I want the garage to have a gambrel roof and so it its stand alone plan I just had it ignore the 2nd floor. When I drew it with the house that created issues for the house. So now I am trying to correct that. Any ideas for this issue? Thanks

You will have to do more manual methods, and not hit that auto build. Once you learn the program the manual build usually is better in most cases.
    If you were to attach a plan, the one with both house and garage, someone will be able to tell you exactly how to sort the problem.
    Hang in there with the learning, it does get easier.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

There should be no reason at all why you can't draw it all in one plan and even have the roofs auto build.
    Are you setting the roof parameters for your gambrel roof in the controlling walls? ie. the upper pitch setting?

There are too many variables to try and do it without you posting the plan.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD