Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Johnny,

I've drastically customized my Schedules so I like to keep them in the Plan CAD Detail Windows. I also have Rich Text Boxes with Macros that work extremely well stored in CAD Detail Windows. Custom Wall Sections and Details on a Project Basis also make sense there.

OTOH, for Standard Details, Notes and Specs I generally prefer to do as Richard says and have that in my Default Layout. I'm not crazy about having multiple Layout Files. One thing that I kind of like - at least in theory - is having separate Plan Files just for CAD Details. It's very simple to just have the Project Layout File open and then open a second Plan File (Details) and send CAD Detail Windows to Layout.

The Layout File knows where the Layout Boxes came from - it doesn't care if they are from just one or from multiple Plans.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

CAD details stored in the same plan will have a negative impact on performance. You can however, get around some of this by creating Detail Plans that you store common details that don't need to interact with the plan. This has been a technique used in Chief for many years by some. Storing them in the layout is another option, but by putting static details in a separate plan file you can decouple things somewhat and come up with more efficient data organization.

For those coming from other cad this is usually referred to as an XRef.

The performance only becomes an issue when you have enough details or they become sufficiently complex. The main point is that a Chief plan file is not an infinitely sized bag that you can throw everything into without eventually having to pay some cost. By being smart about where you store stuff you can make things significantly more efficient in cases where you have a lot of stuff.

Most people don't hit the limits in size where this becomes a major issue, but a complex plan and layout set can add up.

I'm not a fan of the Save As Method because it tends to add clutter to your plans that many don't clean up and then eventually they get to the point where things are slow.

Using separate files for the additional stuff that you might want is a lot better than stuffing it all into every plan or layout.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

You guys are right on with regard using the layout file for this - a perfect solution, and where it belongs. I guess I never realized before that the layout file had a separate CAD Details "group". Thanks.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    You guys are right on with regard using the layout file for this - a perfect solution, and where it belongs. I guess I never realized before that the layout file had a separate CAD Details "group". Thanks.
    Don't discount keeping you details in a dedicated detail plan file, rather than in layout if you use more than one layout sheet size, then having the details in a plan file may be superior because one plan file can send details to an infinite number of layout files. Edits to the detail itself will update wherever it is used in any layout.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    I have all my CAD Details stored in ACAD. I have three sheets set up that I can import what I need as blocks. Walls, foundations, and Roof sections are all premade and need just be dropped onto the plan sheet. Special sections that I need for design specific needs is done and placed where they are needed. In short, I use both Autocad 2010 and CA X5 for a single design. The drawings are seamless to the uniformed. Trying to get CA to do it all has proven to be a pain in the butt. As far as I'm concerned, the two softwares are perfect when combined. Import and Export are my two best buds! ;-)
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Johnny,

Be careful here. The Layout File has a scale of 1"=1".

So it's generally best to use a separate PLAN as the place to create and store Details. Those CAD Details can then be sent to Layout (Even your Default Layout) and if you like you can then put them into then Layout's CAD Detail Windows. But to me this is just extra work since you can open your Detail Plan File(s) and send the Details to any Layout File(whichever you have open at the time.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I have all my CAD Details stored in ACAD. I have three sheets set up that I can import what I need as blocks. Walls, foundations, and Roof sections are all premade and need just be dropped onto the plan sheet. Special sections that I need for design specific needs is done and placed where they are needed. In short, I use both Autocad 2010 and CA X5 for a single design. The drawings are seamless to the uniformed. Trying to get CA to do it all has proven to be a pain in the butt. As far as I'm concerned, the two softwares are perfect when combined. Import and Export are my two best buds! ;-)
    Rich, That sounds pretty nice. Would you be willing to share those ACAD dwgs? I've looked at a lot of the stuff on the web but most of it has very poor annotation and line-work. I'm guessing that your stuff is superior.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Johnny,

Be careful here. The Layout File has a scale of 1"=1".
    Joe, this is incorrect as far as the CAD Detail. Each CAD detail window has its own scale. Once you are in a CAD Detail (in Layout), go to Page Setup, and set the detail for whatever scale you want, then send to Layout. The scale will stay with each individual detail (or group of details). Works just like a detail window in a different Plan file, but more convenient since you don't have to worry about linking.

I think a good way to handle this is to have a detail window of roof framing details at 1"=1'-0", say, and put whatever details you want there. (Can be stored in the Library for convenience.) You might have 5 or 6 details in one view. Then you zoom in on whatever detail you want, and send current view to layout.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    Joe, this is incorrect. Each CAD detail window has its own scale. Once you are in a CAD Detail (in Layout), go to Page Setup, and set the detail for whatever scale you want, then send to Layout. The scale will stay with each individual detail (or group of details).
    Richard, Thanks - I didn't realize that you could set the Scale for each CAD Detail Window. OTOH, maybe it doesn't matter - since everything is sent to Layout at a "Scale". I need to do some testing for that. Maybe the Default Layout is all that's needed but I think I still like the idea of separate Detail Plans just so I can send the details to any Layout.
    Windows 8.1

Joe, I edited while you were replying. See my edits above.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    For all my griping about CA, I think the CAD Detail feature is actually pretty cool - I just haven't set it up yet. For years I have used a detail workbook (letter size) to compliment my plan sets. Less plan checkers are allowing that format, and I am getting tired of going back and forth.

I've started using my "common" details to quickly compose "actual" wall sections of the home - getting away from a page or two of standard blocked details. I think (a) helps builders relate the details to the actual home, and (b) gives the client a feeling of more specific drawing on their behalf. Common/standard details come off as the "cheap" or easy work, and yet when I integrate into actual sections, it makes a plan seem more complete/custom. I've gotten a lot of positive comments about this from clients and contractors.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I think a good way to handle this is to have a detail window of roof framing details at 1"=1'-0", say, and put whatever details you want there. (Can be stored in the Library for convenience.) You might have 5 or 6 details in one view. Then you zoom in on whatever detail you want, and send current view to layout.
    Richard,

Zooming in doesn't really just send what you see on the screen to Layout. Try it - then select the Layout Box and drag the edges out. Everything that was visible on the full Plan is there. To actually limit what is sent you have to turn off the Layers of everything you don't want.
    Windows 8.1

Richard,

Zooming in doesn't really just send what you see on the screen to Layout. Try it - then select the Layout Box and drag the edges out. Everything that was visible on the full Plan is there. To actually limit what is sent you have to turn off the Layers of everything you don't want.
    Sorry, Joe, this works just fine for me. If you zoom into a detail, then send that detail to Layout using "Send Current Screen", you should get pretty much just what you had zoomed in with. If you stretch the borders, you will get whatever was adjacent to that view, of course.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Sorry, Joe, this works just fine for me. If you zoom into a detail, then send that detail to Layout using "Send Current Screen", you should get pretty much just what you had zoomed in with. If you stretch the borders, you will get whatever was adjacent to that view, of course.
    The we are in agreement. The layout box may initially only show what you had zoomed in to - but there's more that has actually been sent to Layout.
    Windows 8.1

The we are in agreement. The layout box may initially only show what you had zoomed in to - but there's more that has actually been sent to Layout.
    Yeah, but so what? More views of the same CAD detail, even if it has 5 or 6 details in that view, does not increase the computing overhead, which I confirmed. If you want, you can have a separate CAD detail window for every single detail, but that seems unnecessary. If you have a generic window set up in your Layout file for, say, foundation details at 1", floor details at 1", trim details at 3", etc., then you can plop any detail you want onto that view from the Library, and it will show up at the correct scale on Layout.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64