Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For what its worth, the discussion here has been very informative.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Sending a detail to layout doesn't put the data into the layout. It is simply a view of the data that is located in the other file. Items not displayed will generally be quickly eliminated from drawing, but it does take a little time to figure out that something doesn't need to draw. Ideally each detail has only what you need to see. Also the stuff that is not shown is loaded into memory so it takes some memory, which may or may not be a big deal for you. Also, all the details in the plan that is referenced are also loaded into memory so that can potentially add up to a performance problem if you put a lot of stuff in the detail file that you aren't using.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug,

Assume that you have a Detail Plan where you add Details to 25 separate CAD Detail Windows and you add a single Detail to each of them. You then send 12 of those to Layout.

Does the Layout File have everything from that Plan File? That doesn't seem like it would be true. I would think that it only had those Details that you sent to Layout. You haven't sent a "Level/Floor" to Layout, just the contents of some of the CAD Detail Windows.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Is there a way thought to save CAD Details to be used in other files? Can you have this all setup and then start a new file and somehow have all the work in 1 file's CAD Details move to another?
    You can always save CAD details to your library (of course).

Another way is the keep a plan file called "CAD Details". From there anything can be copied and pasted into your current drawing all day long.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

Quote Originally Posted by VHampton View Post
    You can always save CAD details to your library (of course).

Another way is the keep a plan file called "CAD Details". From there anything can be copied and pasted into your current drawing all day long.
    Or just sent to the current Layout.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I like the layout method as well assuming that your detail is set to a certain scale.

It makes things go very quickly when assembling a permit set by being able to access commonly used items.
    Val
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

The layout file has nothing in it except a links to the other file and the information about which details are referenced.

On launch the layout will cause the other file to load, which will read all 25 details into memory. It will only draw the ones referenced.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Agreed on the complexity of what you said Doug.

I think that he may have been referring to sending details from library to layout?
    Val
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons