Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CAD Detail Windows - WOW

Something I never used before but it has HUGH ramifications.

CAD Detail Management which provides for new Windows to which things can be copied and still saved as a part of the Plan has a couple of distinct benefits that the Library doesn't provide:

1. You can copy Text Blocks that contain Macros into such Windows and then have access to them at any time. You can't store an Un-Blocked CAD Item in the Library.
    2. Anything in a CAD Detail Window can be edited in it's native form.
    3. Anything in a CAD Detail Window can simply be copied and pasted into the Plan.
    4. You can even store Standard Room Configurations - Kitchen, Bath, Stairs, etc in CAD Detail Windows and not have to worry about Blocking them first as you would have to do to place them in the Library.

The really great part about this is that if you place these in your Default Plan then they will be available to any and all New Plans. I can create Standard Stair configurations and place them in a
    CAD Detail Window and subsequently copy them to a Plan.

This is FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Something I never used before but it has HUGH ramifications.

CAD Detail Management which provides for new Windows to which things can be copied and still saved as a part of the Plan has a couple of distinct benefits that the Library doesn't provide:

1. You can copy Text Blocks that contain Macros into such Windows and then have access to them at any time. You can't store an Un-Blocked CAD Item in the Library.
    2. Anything in a CAD Detail Window can be edited in it's native form.
    3. Anything in a CAD Detail Window can simply be copied and pasted into the Plan.
    4. You can even store Standard Room Configurations - Kitchen, Bath, Stairs, etc in CAD Detail Windows and not have to worry about Blocking them first as you would have to do to place them in the Library.

The really great part about this is that if you place these in your Default Plan then they will be available to any and all New Plans. I can create and annotate (using Macros) Standard Stair configurations and place them in a
    CAD Detail Window and subsequently copy them to a Plan fully annotated.

This is FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Run with it, Joe!

On #2, the object(s) are not just "available" to the plan, they are indeed open in the plan, just out of view. You can use this to your advantage in that the Detail windows can be sent to layout on their own. I think you can add enough content to slow down the program too, be aware of that.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Is there a way thought to save CAD Details to be used in other files? Can you have this all setup and then start a new file and somehow have all the work in 1 file's CAD Details move to another?
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Is there a way thought to save CAD Details to be used in other files? Can you have this all setup and then start a new file and somehow have all the work in 1 file's CAD Details move to another?
    The SAM buddy, the SAM.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Do this in your Default Plan File. It's all available to all New Plans.

IMO, the Default Plan is almost exactly the same as Scott's SAM. You can save a lot of time this way, not to mention the fact that Text Blocks with Macros store this way in the Default Plan just saves a lot of hassle.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Only problem is your loading all that cad stuff in the plan file to slow it down. I'll stick with the lib. and keeping details in the layuot
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry,

I do keep a lot of the details in the Layout. I also have lot of stuff in the Library.

The main things that I want to have in CAD Details is Text Boxes with Macros - with or without arrows and Plan Specific Details such as Schedules, etc.

I don't think the CAD Detail Windows slow down the program if they are not actually opened. I could be wrong, but having some of this stuff "Live" and being able to "Send to Layout" without having to manipulate visible layers is a big advantage.
    Windows 8.1

I don't think the CAD Detail Windows slow down the program if they are not actually opened. I could be wrong
    I think you are incorrect on this. If it is in a CAD Detail, it is "open". Watch your .plan file size grow as you add content to CAD Details. Just the same as if the same content is in the "plan" view.

However, if you just load it up with text macros, and schedules, I doubt you will have any issue.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Almost everything that I would put in a CAD Detail Window would be in the Plan anyway. Just being able to work in those Windows and not being concerned with typical Plan View stuff is wonderful.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    I think you are incorrect on this. If it is in a CAD Detail, it is "open". Watch your .plan file size grow as you add content to CAD Details. Just the same as if the same content is in the "plan" view.

However, if you just load it up with text macros, and schedules, I doubt you will have any issue.
    I'd love to know the answer to that officially - Doug or Dan, can you comment on speed for having those CAD details contained in the file.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Since my Default Plan is only about 2.5 MB I'm not at all concerned about having things in the CAD Detail Windows at this point.
    Windows 8.1

Almost everything that I would put in a CAD Detail Window would be in the Plan anyway. Just being able to work in those Windows and not being concerned with typical Plan View stuff is wonderful.
    Except if I was to load ALL my potential standard details in a file, but only bring certain ones into my plan/layout. I realize you don't do that, but I'd love to work that way.

I am searching for a way to make Chief integrated among several users - my next step. The idea of placing all standard details in default plan file is very appealing.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

The really great part about this is that if you place these in your Default Plan then they will be available to any and all New Plans. I can create Standard Stair configurations and place them in a
    CAD Detail Window and subsequently copy them to a Plan.
    So, how do you do store standard room configurations? As far as I can tell, the CAD Detail Window will only take 2D information.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Richard, You are right. There are some things that Chief creates like Stairs that can be copied to CAD Windows but most other building components are not eligible.
    Windows 8.1

The idea of placing all standard details in default plan file is very appealing.
    I would suggest that you place all standard details in your default LAYOUT file, which has the same CAD detail window capabilities, but which then won't clutter up your plan file. You can also have different layout files for different types of projects, all ready to go with details, spec's, etc.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com