Site Area Analysis using CAD Boxes

Figuring out a Macro for Bryce, I discovered that CAD-Boxes have a unique set of features that can be exploited for Site Area Analysis:

1. They have Ruby Attributes width & height which can be used to calculate the area.
    2. You can place a Text-Box with an arrow pointing to them to reference.
    3. Naturally the CAD-Box does not appear in Renderings and they can be on Layers that will not appear in Orthographic Camera Views.

There are a few potential problems with this:

1. CAD Boxes are strictly rectangular so irregular shapes can't be used
    2. Overlapping Boxes might get confused if the RT-Box arrow is not placed correctly
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe, maybe I am missing something, but check this out.

And yes, overlapping boxes are a problem. That is why we need labels for cad boxes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I'm a new user, so maybe you tell me what the advantage of this would be over the wizard furnished by Chief. Isn't the Wizard designed for spacial analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Joe, maybe I am missing something, but check this out.

And yes, overlapping boxes are a problem. That is why we need labels for cad boxes.
    Scott,

I was having some luck with snapping the arrow to the "Center" of the CAD Box as a reference point. That allowed me to use a fill and border with the RTB and hide the arrow.

But that's very inconsistent. It worked once but I couldn't get it to work every time.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

That allowed me to use a fill and border with the RTB and hide the arrow.
    As a alternative a better way to hide the arrow is to select the arrow and put it on its own layer and turn off that layer. I have a layer "leaders" set up just for that. --- very fast and if you need to see the connections again just turn on the layer. Hidden or not the arrow always stays connected unless you go to extremes. I don't think the connection location has much to do with it. There are other issues.

Other issue is with stability, in my opinion is just how Chief executes macros. I think that sometimes the routine that locates arrows with objects just gets lost. (that's why labels usually work -- code tie) I seen very inconsistent behavior here. Also I don't think its going to be resolved because Chief is stuck on the present tie of macro to objects philosophy and isn't interested in hearing about problems. That's why I don't recommend using reference arrows for anything to do with macros. If you chose to do so, you do at your own risk without support from Chief. Unfortunately, there's no good alternative at present (and none on the horizon).
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

It would be nice if for Labels there was an "Insert Macro" button. That way we could at least see which of our macros would be valid for that Label. But then again, RT for Labels is also way up on the list.

So, we seriously need:

Rich Text for Labels
    Labels for all Chief Objects
    Complete Ruby Attributes for Chief Objects
    Insert Macro Button for Labels

I think that about covers my wish list for Ruby
    Windows 8.1

That would be great I'd we could get all of them that you listed.
    Anthony St.Martin
    509-396-4636
    www.sageland-design.com
    asm@sageland-design.com
    Chief X5 - Started with v.8