Thread: Ruby Consol Bug

Ruby Consol Bug

If you happen to have an item selected in Layout and then go to the Plan and select another object - when you then open the Ruby Console and type "owner.names" Ruby reports "nil.class".

Do we need a separate instance of "Ruby Console" for the Layout vs Plan? What about 2 Plans open at the same time?

If so, how would we do that?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

There is only one Ruby script engine which opens with the program, not with the plans and is common to all the plans. IOW all the plans are in the same namespace. This means that muli open plans can have name conflicts because the same Global space is used for all plans at the same time . Also, if you close a plan, Ruby and the previous global info stay active.

Finally, switching between plans, Ruby does get "confused" as to which is the active object (erratic). I believe this is "part????" of the problem with reference text boxes and why Scott seems to have more problems with this than others.

I have sent in a suggestion that each plan have its own namespace and that the loss of focus be looked into --- no response other than forwarded to development.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    There is only one Ruby script engine which opens with the program, not with the plans and is common to all the plans. IOW all the plans are in the same namespace. This means that muli open plans can have name conflicts because the same Global space is used for all plans at the same time . Also, if you close a plan, Ruby and the previous global info stay active.
    OK, This makes some sense. It might be important for the Plan and Layout to share Global space.

Finally, switching between plans, Ruby does get "confused" as to which is the active object (erratic). I believe this is "part????" of the problem with reference text boxes and why Scott seems to have more problems with this than others.
    So we need to modify how Scott uses the program? I tend to have only one Plan open at a time. We can only have one Layout open and I like to have the Layout and the Plan open simultaneously.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I have run into problems having more than one plan open and a layout. I use macros attached to boxes for square footage #'s that also are used in the layout. If I have more than one plan open, the layout does not know which plan to pull the sq ft from.
    Anthony St.Martin
    509-396-4636
    www.sageland-design.com
    asm@sageland-design.com
    Chief X5 - Started with v.8

Quote Originally Posted by Sageland View Post
    I have run into problems having more than one plan open and a layout. I use macros attached to boxes for square footage #'s that also are used in the layout. If I have more than one plan open, the layout does not know which plan to pull the sq ft from.
    That makes sense to me. I would only open a blank plan with nothing in it as a second plan - primarily for the purpose of creating a new Symbol.
    Windows 8.1

That is how I have been doing it once I figured out what was going on.
    Anthony St.Martin
    509-396-4636
    www.sageland-design.com
    asm@sageland-design.com
    Chief X5 - Started with v.8