Sign On and Error Message

First some background: Two weeks ago I encountered the dreaded FBI Ransom Virus on one of my laptops and crashed the system trying to fix that. Local computer geeks had to back up all my files and reformat the disk, then reinstall Windows 7 and all my data files, but that process eliminated all the programs, including Chief Premier 5.

Fortunately, the affected laptop is more of a secondary, older machine. However, I attempted to reinstall Chief from my download files that were in the backed up data. That went okay after I deactivated my License on my primary machine. I was able to then sign into Chief on the affected machine and do a reinstall of the program and libraries. I then rebooted my machine with the intention of deactivating that License and starting back to using my primary machine.

However, I now get an error message when trying to open Chief on the affected machine......see the attachment.......and I have no clue what to do now! My main machine now wants me to sign in with Emergency Password, and while I have it, I really do not want to start using those up. I need a solution on this error message. AND, I did not sign back up for SSA when it expired on me at the end of June, so I'm not sure if Customer Support will help without a huge fee at this point.

Clearly, I need to get Chief running on the fixed machine so that I can deactivate the license and get back to my main one.

Anyone have some ideas on this one. I have been totally unable to get Chief running on the affected machine after doing the reboot of the system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief_Error_Message.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	60452  
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),
    HP dv7 Laptop w/ Windows 7 64 bit
    12 GB, Nvidia GeForce 650M 2 GB Graphics, i7 processor
    Canon IPF 610 Wide Format Printer
    www.GraysonFamilyHomes.com

google side by side configuration, there are sveral fixes available. but seems to need a reinstall as you have missing or corrupt C++ files.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

I've now done a Microsoft system scan (sfc/scannow from C: prompt) that found configuration errors and fixed them. Rebooted the machine per instructions. Chief is still giving me the same error message.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

One or more DLLs that Chief is using is missing. A reinstall should fix it.

Given the severity of the issue my sense is that a complete wipe of the hard drive and then reinstall everything from the ground up is the only safe way to get things back to where they should be.

You may want to contact support. Renewing your SSA now will also get you the upgrade to X6 which will be released in the first quarter of next year. Only you can determine if the renewal is worthwhile. I'm not sure of the cost, but you can certainly find out by contacting our sales team.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I did not sign back up for SSA when it expired on me at the end of June, so I'm not sure if Customer Support will help without a huge fee at this point.
    Call them anyways. First, because it probably won't be a huge fee. I am guessing that there will only be a slight penalty for letting your SSA lapse. Second, because you are probably going to want to renew your SSA soon because X6 is coming. I hear it's already being beta tested and have heard rumors that it is going to be well worth the renewal cost.

This is part of what SSA is for. Problems happen. When they do, you can call someone that can help you.
    Kilgore Trout

Thanks, everyone. I wiped Chief off of the affected machine and used one of my three Emergency Passwords on the main laptop to get back into Chief successfully.

Since the machine that got hit with the virus was more of a backup machine and not used day to day, I've opted to eliminate Chief altogether on that one. Since I am now fully retired, it is doubtful that I will need X6. I can always pay for upgrading if it becomes necessary.

A word of warning, though, about that FBI Ransom Virus........despite having AVG Anti-Virus software running in combination with Windows Defender, I still got hit without any hindrance to it with the AVG running, or Win Def, and it was a gigantic disaster to my machine. The hard drive had to be wiped totally, as Doug, suggested. Starting from scratch with reinstalling everything is a big PITA to say the least.

My main machine also has AVG Internet Security, and now I am even more concerned what might happen to it if the virus shows up again. So, what say ye about the most reliable Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware on the market at this point????

I need to better prepare myself...............
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

Louie
    I use Esset, but I believe that Norton probably gets the most viruses sorted. I previously used Norton but it tended to take over the machine.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

I also use Eset, never had any problems for many years now.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

AVG has had problems in the past for me with certain viruses. I know use Kaspersky and no problems at all. And you get to install it on 3 machines.
    Jay Wojnas
    X4, X5, & LOL AutoCad R14/2000
    Precision Designs
    http://pdglobal.com

I'll check into the Esset and Kaspersky.............I agree that Norton poses too many problems for many machines, never have like it.

Thanks, everyone!
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),