Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Total wall area question

I am a novice user, working on a remodel of three story condo.
    I would like to know if there is a way for CA to produce the total amount of wall surface area, either by room or by floor? Some of the rooms will have wallpaper, some paint, and I was hoping to be able to easily see the total surface area SF, versus having to measure all the walls by hand and do the math.
    Thanks for any help here.

Long Answer - it can be done -- but not practical
    BECAUSE -- objects in Chief do not have descriptive ID's, nor are they persistent, at least, in the Ruby script engine. To do so, you would have to create a macro for each wall and the room and identify which goes with what. You might as well do the cal manually.

Short answer --- Nope and AFAIK -- there are no plans to add this capability.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

I think there might be a way. Apply a MATERIAL to each wall, (ie paint layer). Paint kitchen with material, KITCHEN PAINT, paint hallway with HALL PAINT, I am assuming these two materials will show in materials list and the area will also be included.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Actually, the Materials List does this.

In order for everything to work accurately:

Either your walls need to be defined with separate layers for each material and finish -or- the Wall Coverings need to be added. I don't think that simply changing the "Color" will do it as this is simply reflected in the description of the drywall.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Beat cha Joe!!!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Beat cha Joe!!!
    Only because I was doing a test to verify how it worked.

BTW, why aren't you out play golf already?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I do believe I tried that earlier this morning, and the material did not show up in the Materials list. Very odd, considering whatever you put on the floor measures up perfectly. One would think CA would tell you how much wall paper square foot you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Only because I was doing a test to verify how it worked.

BTW, why aren't you out play golf already?
    12:15 tee time, trophy lakes. Hoping JPC will meet us after round for a drink.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dmfisher View Post
    I do believe I tried that earlier this morning, and the material did not show up in the Materials list. Very odd, considering whatever you put on the floor measures up perfectly. One would think CA would tell you how much wall paper square foot you have.
    It's listed under Interior Trim. Item T3 in the attached pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Material List.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	60441  
    Windows 8.1

Joe, does your 398 SF add up correctly though, for the size of room you have? Because when I cover my walls in my 598 SF room, it is telling me 82 SF in Floral Goldleaf Print wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmfisher View Post
    Joe, does your 398 SF add up correctly though, for the size of room you have? Because when I cover my walls in my 598 SF room, it is telling me 82 SF in Floral Goldleaf Print wallpaper.
    Check the Wall Covering Tab. I suspect that you have the Wall Covering to be only an 8" high strip. This is the Default Setting. If you change it to be 0" above Floor and the full height of the room it should be correct in the Material List.
    Windows 8.1

I had the whole wall covered with wallpaper from top to bottom. 8' high.

Check to make sure your "Floor to bottom" and "top to ceiling" is set correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall coverings.PNG 
Views:	237 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	60442  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

now I am getting 995 SF which sounds more reasonable. I will manually calculate this first room, and if it is correct, I will put that horrible Floral Goldleaf on every room! Thanks a lot, d.

To be able to get correct area SF measurements, you can't use the eyedropper/spray paint/paint roller tool.
    You have to open up every room, and change the wall covering to wall paper, to be able to get an accurate SF in the Materials List.