stainless steel renders black in ray trace

When I do an interior ray trace of a kitchen, the stainless steel appliances (both Viking objects and standard) appear black. Also, the room appears quite dark. I have quite a bit of lighting in the room and even added a bunch of bare bulb fixtures behind the camera to lighten things up. Does anybody have a way of adjusting the appearance?

Also, I'm looking for a wall mounted pot filler object.

My computer is a Dell Precision T3600, 4x2GB, 4 core Xenon E-5-1620, 3.6GHz, 10M, Turbo with 2 GB NVIDA Quadro K2000 graphics card.

Thanks for your help.

Take some time and experiment with the Material Definition of your stainless. By teaching yourself what that dialogs' adjustments are for and what they do to the appearance of materials in terms of how reflective, how emissive it is and by adjusting your lighting are the keys to good imaging and appearance.
    It is an Art that is learned by study and practice after study. There are no "tricks", there is knowing because you studied the data in the Reference Manual, understood that data well and then practiced with it until your own judgement then manifests itself.
    It bloody well takes patience, persistence and stubbornness to arrive at high quality output images.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I have good luck with using this as my best stainless for appliances.
    Select the appliance, go to Materials tab, select the main color, or whatever you want to change, click on Library Material, and type in

2178 - Brushed Stainless Steel

I think it shows up nicely in RTs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT 1.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	60438  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
    When I do an interior ray trace of a kitchen, the stainless steel appliances (both Viking objects and standard) appear black. Also, the room appears quite dark. I have quite a bit of lighting in the room and even added a bunch of bare bulb fixtures behind the camera to lighten things up. Does anybody have a way of adjusting the appearance?

Also, I'm looking for a wall mounted pot filler object.

My computer is a Dell Precision T3600, 4x2GB, 4 core Xenon E-5-1620, 3.6GHz, 10M, Turbo with 2 GB NVIDA Quadro K2000 graphics card.

Thanks for your help.

Try to turn on Photon Mapping in the ray trace option > advance.
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

Lin is offline Registered User Promoted
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stainless Steel light.jpg 
Views:	1249 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	60466

I wish I could remember who it is on here who recommended this and offered it to people -- if I do, I'll come back and post his name. Anyway, this has been a wonderful time saver for me. I downloaded it and added it to my user files (do you need info on how to do that?). I simply click and apply it to all stainless that shows. Works really well.
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    Intel Core i7-2820QM
    CPU @ 2.30GHZ 2.30 GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    64-bit OS

Thanks for the suggestions. The Material Definition dialogs were key to getting the desired effect