Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Three story columns in plan view

I am trying to draw a covered porch that is three stories tall, that has columns that run from the foundation to the roof. I have the columns in the first floor, and they are the correct height, but they are not showing up in the second and third floor views. This is making my railing placement difficult.

How do I display these columns on the first, second and third floor views.

Thank you,

The MRLS .... ......... Shot a 101. Not bad, see if I can break 90 before week is over
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

Give the guy a break, he has one post!. Crikey! Just help him! Even though you are the 'Bridge Troll' seeking the 'truth' in all matters of important and weeding out the other lessor 'trolls', at least give him a shot at your vast understanding on all that is 'Chief'. I know you can do it! I may have the answer and may not. I'm waiting on your unique ability to provide the answer in a succinct and clear manner, something I have yet to accomplish...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll-bridge.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	60413
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

You can also place the cad block that comes with that column on the 2nd floor. Of course using the MRLS is easier if you know how to use it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by William H Lynch View Post
    Scott,

Give the guy a break, he has one post!. Crikey! Just help him! Even though you are the 'Bridge Troll' seeking the 'truth' in all matters of important and weeding out the other lessor 'trolls', at least give him a shot at your vast understanding on all that is 'Chief'. I know you can do it! I may have the answer and may not. I'm waiting on your unique ability to provide the answer in a succinct and clear manner, something I have yet to accomplish...

Sorry Bill, I thought I answered the question. I suppose I could go into 10 minutes of details or he could learn about the MRLS via all the vids. If someone had a better answer please help the guy out.

Another way I suppose is to put the column on all 3 levels. Please, CA, come up with the correct answer, I tried.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Bill, no clear succinct answer, many different answers depending on the user.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Does a person with one post even know what 'MRLS' is? A little explanation goes a long way...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Does a person with one post even know what 'MRLS' is? A little explanation goes a long way...
    You have a point Bill. To the OP, if interested, there are videos to explain, do a search and you will find the vids about the MRLS.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here is a link to Scotts videos on training in the MRLS. You might want to go back a few videos and learn about annotation sets before jumping into this section, but here you go.

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/mrls1.html

You guys might think differently, but I feel the MRLS is much more difficult than in needs to be. Not easy to learn - and I would watch Scotts videos over CA's.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Scott,

Scott,

Please forgive any rudeness on my part... I was just trying to apply some levity to your original comment... Sometimes I come across with a 'dry' humor that insults everyone. Again, my apologies... You are a unique and valuable asset to the CA community, Keep up the good work!

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Seems to me that "custom" with acronyms is to use the full name with the acronym at the first reference, Multiple Reference Layer Sets (MRLS), and the acronym thereafter. Yes? No?

I don't see MRLS as a very intuitive solution. When you are simply trying to display a Nth floor object as a reference on the Nth+1 floor then I think that reference layers makes sense.

But in this case we are talking about an object that actually is going to be present on multiple floors.

Perhaps objects should have an option to appear (in plan view) on any floor on which they "exist" as opposed to only the floor they were created on.

In this case a tall column that spans three floors would appear on each.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Scott,

Please forgive any rudeness on my part... I was just trying to apply some levity to your original comment... Sometimes I come across with a 'dry' humor that insults everyone. Again, my apologies... You are a unique and valuable asset to the CA community, Keep up the good work!

Bill
    No problem Bill, I am a bit dense after 19 rounds on the golf course.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
    Seems to me that "custom" with acronyms is to use the full name with the acronym at the first reference, Multiple Reference Layer Sets (MRLS), and the acronym thereafter. Yes? No?

I don't see MRLS as a very intuitive solution. When you are simply trying to display a Nth floor object as a reference on the Nth+1 floor then I think that reference layers makes sense.

But in this case we are talking about an object that actually is going to be present on multiple floors.

Perhaps objects should have an option to appear (in plan view) on any floor on which they "exist" as opposed to only the floor they were created on.

Actually a tall column would not appear on all 3 floors. Maybe intuitive, but will not work. The MRLS is not intuitive but it can work. I could spell out the MRLS, but it would probably mean as little as the acronym to the OP.

So Fred, you did not offer up a solution in your post. Did you want to offer up an alternative solution that will work for now or should we stick with one of three options,
    1. The MRLS
    2. Copy the my oil to each floor
    3. Copy a cad block of symbol to each floor
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Actually a tall column would not appear on all 3 floors. Maybe intuitive, but will not work. The MRLS is not intuitive but it can work. I could spell out the MRLS, but it would probably mean as little as the acronym to the OP.

So Fred, you did not offer up a solution in your post. Did you want to offer up an alternative solution that will work for now or should we stick with one of three options,
    1. The MRLS
    2. Copy the symbol to each floor
    3. Copy a cad block of symbol to each floor
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I was not offering a solution - I was suggesting a new feature that would address this issue - the option to mark an object in some way that would cause an object that spanned multiple floors to appear on each appropriate floor.

References are a viable work around but I don't believe they should be necessary. CA simply hasn't addressed the issue of such objects in the 2D representation - such an object works as expected in the 3D representation - it follows, to my way of thinking, that it should work much the same way in the 2D representation.

For now I would go with CAD block.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)