Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    An advanced option that hardly anyone seems to use is the mklink command to create a symbolic link. I use this on my SSD for folders that I don't need fast access on, but do need to live in a particular folder on the SSD. With a symbolic link I can have those files living on a slower drive but as far as the OS and software the symbolic link looks like just another directory even though it is on another drive.
    I've considered that but wasn't sure what would happen if I tried to "relocate" an existing folder which seems to be inevitable given that Windows is already installed and created all of the folders of interest by the time you can use the command.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

I've relocated the "user" directories on XP, and Win 7 in the past following dirctions I found on the net with no problem. I did make an image firstt just in case. In Win 8 it is easy, in the properties of the folders, I thought there was a way to move them wholesale but didn't find it with a quick search.
    W8 also optimizes SSD's.
    I turn off hibernate and limit the recovery folder size to save space.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co

Yes Windows does allow relocation of certain user directories BUT many programs don't respect this change, thus I end up with the "official" folders on D and "bogus" ones (of the same name) on C created by applications that don't know any better.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

1. See if your windows is using an elephant of C: HD space with hiberfil.sys ... a system file related to power savings & fast boots in XP->8.1. When we work all day on Chief we don't need no stinking 25GB of HD "reserved" (in my case)

Find Command Prompt (Admin) and run this command line
    powercfg.exe -h off
    and presto - the new, free HD space might save you from the nightmare I used to have
    with file links lost between C: & D: ever changing addresses

BTW Asus
    your G10AC that boasts 1 TB HD = HA!
    Potential buyers should know that windows C: partition of only 149GB (15% of total) is sandwiched ... no ... LOCKED between two unmovable partitions, so it CANNOT expand to serve our ever growing Chief versions, archives & catalogues that only speak to C:
    (otherwise, it is a screaming awesome system)