Objects on different Layers depending on Layer Set selected.

I tried searching for this on the forum to no avail. Last few drawings I've been experiencing problems similar to as follows,

My HVAC duct callouts (on Layer "Text,HVAC" in Mechanicals Layerset) are appearing on my Framing Layerset, but when I open the layer, the "Text,HVAC" is unchecked, and there's no plus sign (meaning there's no objects on the layer.

Right clicking the object, I find it is on another layer ("Architectural Blocks", for example) which has a plus sign behind it, and unchecking it makes it disappear from Framing Layerset. Switching back to Mechanical Layerset, I find the object is still on Layer "Text,HVAC".

Am I doing something wrong? Is it normal for an object to belong to one layer in a particular Layerset, and simultaneously belong to another layer in a different Layerset?

Thanks, in advance for any insights.

John.
    Sincerely,
    John Angelo Burke,
    JiAngelo Builders llc
    http://www.jiangelo.com
    (614) 898-7333 phone/fax

X5
    Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
    (2) Quad-Core AMD Opteron 2439SE
    32 gb Memory DDR2 667 (PC2-5300)
    (2) Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    (3) Dell 3007wfp 2560 x 1600

Sounds like your layer sets are messed up. I would either copy everything into a new blank plan or delete all your layer sets and create clean ones. If you are using the "save as" method or you import annotations/layers from any of these plans, you are going to keep having problems.

Also, check your preferences and make sure "modify name in all layer sets" is checked. Don't ever uncheck this because it will mess you up big time.
    Kilgore Trout

Make sure the Architectural Block is on the same Layer. The Block is being displayed - it over-rides the object itself for display purposes.

ps: I made a suggestion previously to make it possible to display only pieces of a block according to their own layers if the block layer way turned off.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium