Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mehen is offline Registered User Promoted
    You San Diegans are crazy - errr interesting !
    Mark Henson
    GinkgoHouse Architecture, LLC
    X5.2.1.3x64

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Yes, I believe that is the reasoning..........
    Its probably a municipal code you are taking about. Between fire codes (fire wall separations etc) and density code issues, someone that builds a home with 16-17' ceilings can simply later place a floor in the building to double the "area" SF. In the small town I am in there are SF maximums based upon fire flow pressure from the fire hydrants, so I can see why a City/County would look to restrict "envelope" sizes for those reasons alone.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

The cities are finally getting smarter about the tricks that have been played on them for years.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    The cities are finally getting smarter about the tricks that have been played on them for years.
    True, very true, but I think they get carried away with themselves...

In many ways I think the methods used by municipalities to restrict building in one way or another EXCEEDS the reason/cause for their authority in the first place. Theoretically, public safety is the only reason they have authority. In this example, considering fire flow etc, I suppose that is reasonable. Other codes I am left scratching my head on how it effects public safety.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

OMG. I think my home just went from 5015 sq.ft. to 6500 sq.ft. - just because I have high ceilings. Unfortunately it won't have any effect on the sales price.

Seriously, If someone is going to remodel and add area by filling in the high ceiling with another floor they should be getting a permit anyway.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    As much as I agree with you Joe, people often avoid following the rules...and logic.
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Subject to interpretation may be a bit strong. Here is the question, you have a 20x 20 room, with 15' high ceilings, how much floor area is this? The city of San Diego will say this is 800 s.f., not 400 s.f. Now how will the home owners and how will the assessor and how will the real estate agent define this area?
    That's California GobbleyGook! They are just penalizing you for volume not square footage. Standard Gross living area typically (and for all jobs I've done since the late '70's) is calculated from the Exterior of the Exterior Sheathing or the exterior of the Exterior walls but does not include unfinished basements, attics, or garages, decks or porches. For Lot coverage for stormwater management, you have to count all impervious areas covered by the house footprint including impervious paving etc.

Not sure why Lew's getting banged on here but mostly I think Joe C's first reply is spot on.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4