Solid Fill to 3D symbols

I have imported new symbol via sketchup. Even though 2D block automatically generated indicates the plan is filled, under the symbol Specification, tab '2D block', the symbol is still transparent when placed in the drawings. ie the tile hatched area of the bathroom floor show through the symbol. There is a icon that I have appropriately left untagged which says 'No Fill (transparent)'. I had put up with this for a number years. Is there a solution to this, or is it a short coming of the programme. I used CA X5

Hi Rob,

The 'No Fill' option you are seeing turns fill off, only if the fill is available to begin with.
    The CAD Block that Chief generates does not always automatically generate closed polylines, which are required in order to 'corral' the fill pattern.

This is why, especially with more detailed objects, you do not automatically get a filled plan view symbol, where you might see fill frequently with simple rectangular objects like tables and casework. Chief does a better job generating simple filled polylines than complex ones. Admittedly, this is not ideal, however there are ways to get around the issue.

You can correct this object by importing the symbol as normal, then placing it in your plan.
    From the CAD Block Management dialog, find and Insert the CAD Block for the object into your plan.
    Explode the Block, then edit the CAD lines or add new CAD to create filled polylines. Remember to define the fill (I use Solid White).
    Block the CAD together again, then edit the Symbol, choosing the updated CAD Block from the list on the 2D Block tab of the Symbol Specification dialog.

Once these steps are complete, you will have fill available in your symbol plan view. The exception to this rule is Electrical items... which will never display fill, regardless of the CAD Block.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,
    Last edited by Adrean; 09-03-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarification
    Adrean Stephenson
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    Sr. Content Developer
    Product Marketing Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Adrean View Post
    The exception to this rule is Electrical items... which will never display fill, regardless of the CAD Block.
    Why is that? Why are electrical items different? I've been trying to make some of my own electrical symbols, some of which I would like to have parts solid filled. I couldn't figure out why my fill was disappearing until I found this post!
    Levis Lavoie
    Owner / Architectural Tech
    www.design3drafting.ca

X6 Beta 3
    User since X1
    Apple 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro

Levis, the "reason" is programming conventions and language.

Like it or not Adrean answered the question.

Why such limitations are inherent in X5 is a question better put to Jack Simpson, the Parks Brothers or Dermot Dempsey who actually decide how the code is written which determines what can and cannot be then done within the software.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!